No bass in my system

anonymous 333
Unregistered guest
I bought a new deck and there is no bass. when i balance it to the left or the right, there is a lot of bass but when its in the middle it sucks. I tried to put the bass to the max and lower it but it still doesn't produce the bass. does anyone know what i should do next? i have stock speakers in the front and new 6x9s in the back. I dont have the budget the get a new amp or sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Hairball

City of Angels

Post Number: 43
good description of the problem. it seems like your left speakers (front and rear) are out of phase with your right speakers.

bass frequencies from multiple speakers are more susceptable to being out of phase with each other. it's very common, tho many people don't check for it.

it's simple to fix. switch the positive and negative leads on the left speakers (front and rear). only do it for the left or right side, otherwise you're right back where you started.

alternatively, you could do this to the speaker wires on the back of the head unit, if it's easier.

one question, what happens when you fade all the way to the front, then all the way to the rear (with the balance in the middle)? the fronts may be more likely to be out of phase if they face each other. do the rear speakers face each other, or face up towards the back window? if so, maybe just switch the + and - leads on one of the front speakers and leave the back alone. this all depends on doing that sound check with the fader to see exactly which speakers are cancelling each other out.

it'll sound great soon.

anonymous 333
Unregistered guest
when i fade all the way to the front or the rear there still is no bass. the front speakers face to the middle of the car and the rears are facing up towards the windows.

Bronze Member
Username: Hairball

City of Angels

Post Number: 52
so, i would switch the + and - leads on the front left OR right speaker and see how it sounds. do the balance and fader check. if you have great sound up front with balance in the middle, but no bass in the rear, then switch the leads on one of the back speakers as well.

try it out and report back. should get much better bass response.

by the way, you're probably lucky that the bass freq's are 180 degrees out of phase ( or close to it), because it's so easy to hear that it sounds bad. i don't think most people check for phase problems to see which way it sounds better.

Bronze Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 35
Pay attention to wire colors, too. Commonly, speaker wires will have a stripe for the negative wire. That's an easy way to check.

anonymus 333
Unregistered guest
yeah i switched the leads and it sounds so much better
thx for the help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us