OT: Songs on radio hit harder

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 344
So i heard that song bay bay by hurricane chris and downloaded it cause it hits nice in my car. put it on a cd and hit doesn't hit for crap. anyone know why this is...

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Future 15 Wanger!!, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2048
ya its a G@y song so it wont bump as hard...lol

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1315
When I Holler Ay Bay Bay
I Finna Get My Groove On
It's So Hot Up In Da Club
Dat I Ain't Got No Shoes On

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SOUND SPLINTER RL-S ON...

Post Number: 14767
yeah i noticed that some songs hit harder on the radio than on cd. for me that song called "party like a rock star". i downloaded it and it hits pretty hard but when i hear it on the radio, it hits lower.

Silver Member
Username: Kaprese

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 372
Catch me with a big stack in some rubberbands
don't ask me for money cause I ain't dat otha man

Silver Member
Username: Thumpinwith8s

2 RE8s,PG Xenon 400.1, New Numbers ...

Post Number: 643
ha, most of my CD's are louder than the radio, just noticed that the other day

White boys, gangsters in the club
ay bay bay

Silver Member
Username: Fearthisskyy

Dallas, Texas United states

Post Number: 375
i always wanted to know why this happens... my radio puts out boomier/lower bass then when they're on CD, but the quality of the song is horrible

Silver Member
Username: Spivey17323

Dunellen, New jersey United states

Post Number: 311
yea my radio does too...

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Ascendant Audio Arsenals, Chicago Ima graffiti...

Post Number: 1658
Since we're on the topic of that hurricane chris song...yesterday at work i had to carry a buncha stuff that this old lady bought, out to her car for her. When i got out there i saw her bobbing her head in her car, she motioned for me to put the stuff in the backseat and when i opened the door she had "AY BAY BAY" blasting loud as phuck! It sounded like she musta had a sub in the trunk too, maybe it was her grandkids car or something but still, she was jammin hard. I lol'd for like 10 minutes.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Im just light up my......

Post Number: 2616
hahahahahahhahah funny, dumbass

Silver Member
Username: Thumpinwith8s

2 RE8s,PG Xenon 400.1, New Numbers ...

Post Number: 647
ay bay bay>good baseline, but terrible song

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Ascendant Audio Arsenals, Chicago Ima graffiti...

Post Number: 1659
agreed wolfy.

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

Post Number: 610
Don't .mp3 files have some of the upper and lower ends shaved off?

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1916
mp3 files and the radio suck for quality.

Bronze Member
Username: Dadydolas

Post Number: 82
taht could be a good reason if the cd's are burnt and not bought

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 740
Its becuase the quality of the song you downlaoded and burned was horrible. When you download a song, make sure the bitrate is 128kbs MINIMUM. Songs with lower quality than that generally has the bass f*cked up.

Bronze Member
Username: Evoixmr

Post Number: 49
It depends on burn quality and download bitrate. Try taking a normal cd and burning a copy and see which plays true, if they sound the same the burn quality is ok(if not try burning at a lower speed.) BTW, if youre downloading from limewire it wont matter what the bitrate is it will always sound like shyt.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

Do Work Fi Audio

Post Number: 1826
^ Brad knows the goods having to do with mp3 files and such. im pretty sure mp3 files sound just as good as any other, unless the BR is too low

at one time i noticed songs on the radio sounded better than ones i dl'd or were off cd, and its because they edit them to be more radio friendly. most stations sound good now (hd radio or w.e) except if you don't get good reception with it

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SOUND SPLINTER RL-S ON...

Post Number: 14768
i am just simply saying why does the bass sound lower when played on radio? the quality i get from my ipod or cd is much better than radio but the bass seems lower when i hear it through the radio. not all the songs but that song "party like a rock star". the bass frequency is high when i play it off of my ipod. i know since i downloaded it isn't the best quality. the music part still sounds better than the radio but bass isn't as low.

someone shed some light on this matter for me. thanks in advance.

chadleeisthebest

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 200
Like someone said, they shave some of the lower and higher end off to save space. Try downloading a 256kb version or higher and see if it still does it. Any time I buy the cd it always has better low end than the radio, but downloaded versions sound like crap.

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 744
Not all Downloaded versions sound like crap.
I use IRC to download complete cds at a time, and they are always EXACT copies.Sounds just as good as the orginal.

Silver Member
Username: Luisdelbronx

Bronx, NY USA

Post Number: 175
i donno if its just me..i noticed lower quality songs have lots off bass but the mids and highs sound like crap..i noticed this in my car and in my house where i use cerwin vega d-7's as computer speakers...thats not to say that high quality songs dont have good bass...but i did notice with the song "walk it out", on one mp3 it has noooo bass but its 160kbps and 44.1khz yet another mp3 of the same quality and has great bass...i guess it has to do with the program they use to encode it...

I think radio songs have better bass because they are like 32khz i think..but dont take my word for it...i just say that because when you go to encode a mp3 it says 32khz is radio quality and 44.1khz is cd quality...

I hooked up my phone once to my car because it had mp3s i didnt have on a cd, and it rang and the low quality ringtone had LOTSS of bass that scared the crap outta me..the ringtone was encoded at 8kbps and 8khz 8bit mono

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 2657
Radio stations compress the dynamic range of the audio signal heavily so that the overall apparent level of the music seems higher and more uniform on all different types of radios and listening situations. They do this for two reasons. One is so that the signal can fit inside the limits of the broadcast signal and two is so that they can get right up to the peak volume that is allowed by the FCC and hold it there so that when you change stations on your radio their station "jumps" out at you and you listen for awhile. They also use what is called a brick wall limiter to insure that the signal never jumps over a pre-determined max level.

Ever notice how commercials on TV are way louder than the actual shows? They do this for the same reason as radio does... to get your attention, and make every word more legible. When audio is compressed it takes on a pumped up quality because the peaks are reduced and the lower level signals are boosted and the result is that every note in the frequency range is uniform and at the same volume. When this is translated by a high level car system like Chad's, the overall affect is louder, deeper, more even bass level. In music and recording, compression is used extensively to even out the level of the strings on a bass guitar, produce a pumped up, even sounding vocal with no peaks or low levels, and to make a guitar soar with sustain and to get those chunky in-your-face riffs. It is also used on drums for the same reasons.

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 145
does anyone know of any programs that you can download to raise how many Kb the song is

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 3200
Two reasons for this, one is that radio stations EQ the signal and make other adjustments (Brad pretty much covered that one)

And the other thing is you FM tuner. Look in the specs for your HU for the frequency response range of the FM tuner. A lot of them don't go lower than 40 hz or so. So you wouldn't hear bass lower than that.

Silver Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Midland, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 701
all i know is i get barely any bass from the radio but then i pop in a cd and its night and day no matter what song

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 532
i have a feeling it's distortion in compression and on another noter u could have the sla aka source level audio turned down on the cd and up on the radio. what i was thinking about distortion is the song hits harder at a lower bit rate do to it being so low quality chunks off the sudio have been shaved off produceing a different frequency do to distortion.

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1338
When I Holler Ay Bay Bay
I Finna Get My Groove On
It's So Hot Up In Da Club
Dat I Ain't Got No Shoes On

Silver Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 702
my headunit is an $80 jvc POS that was in my ride when i got it and i dont have money to get a new one...it doesnt have barely any settings

Silver Member
Username: Moey_g

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 107
Ben, once a song has lost its quality you cannot get it back. When you decrease the bit rate, you lose parts of the file. If you try to raise the bit rate, your trying to bring back pieces of the file that are simply not there.
(If what i said makes any sense lol)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us