Fiberglassing Kickpanels

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 824
Chase and I were discussing attempting fiberglassing kickpanels in our cars because our respective fathers are not fans of cutting apart our doorpanels

Anyone know of a good detailed (photos) link of how to do this. I know it's difficult, but because kickpanels are so small, it'd be a good start. I forget where, but I remember someone using their old kickpanel piece as a base for their fiberglassing so it fits naturally into place.

help some guys out here

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2979
alright, something I know. Take your kickpanels off alright, you wanna use miguiars w/e you spell it glaze ok. Now wipe your kickpanels with it all over alright. What this does is help the resin from sticking onto the kickpanels. Next you wanna put a layer of fiberglass matt down and brush resin on, what you want to do is make a mold of the kickpanel. Put about as many layers as you wish, make sure you push in any holes. You will want to fiberglass all around the kickpanel. To make the fiberglass matt stay in place, use tinfoil and cloths hangers, wrap the tinfoil around the corners, and use the clothes hangers to keep the matt in place. Tinfiol is used so the fiberglass doesn't stick onto the hanger. Once that is done, make your rings, use wooden dowels to angle your rings. Get speaker grill cloth to wrap your project, start at the speaker ring and then work your way to the corners, to make the cloth stick at the corners you wanna use 3M super 77, spray it onto the backside of your mold and glue down the cloth there. You do not want to fiberglass over the area where the cloth is held down by the glue, if you do, the glue will let loose and the cloth will come apart. Take into consideration what I said, look at some tutorials on www.fiberglassforums.com and from what I said, are the in betweens of what they don't tell you. Your probaly wondering, how did they get a mold, well I just told you, you wonder how they got the cloth to stick, just told you. etc etc. oh and last, the sanding, adding more matt, maybe 2 more layers or so, then filler. sand the filler down with 80 grit and them move up to 220 or 440 depending if your going to paint and so forth.

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 829
damn dude, thanks berny

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2986
Also, a good way to get a nice even amount of body filler on the kick panels is to mix half of rage gold or w/e filler you use, add half resin, mix together throughly. Once your done mixing you can finally add the mekp mix that for awhile and then just brush this mixture onto your kickpods or you can pour it on, it will glide on nicely and you won't have to do a lot of sanding. Also the mixture is very strong once dried.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13931
awesome info there berny.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 1406
did a good job berny but here's more. cant ever have too much info
http://www.subwoofertools.com/default.asp?ContentID=16&CategoryID=11
« Previous Thread Next Thread »