Question for (db -ers)................

Gold Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 2349
I just had a quick question for those of you who have expirience by more less being able to tell how loud a certain db is. In four days im going to my first comp and i have no clue around what db im hitting im pretty sure its 140ish. I figured for those who have actually felt the loudness you can tell me more less what you think im hitting as i describe how it feels. Ok it hits so hard its uncomfortable, the really low bass notes you can feel in your ears bad(its sort of like having a person blowing in each of your ears real bad. The higher bass notes hit your chest real hard. If your smoking in the car the bass just makes it swivel crazy. If i have my windows down i can flex store windows and window doors. I hope someone can give me an estimate, thanx guys.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13696
what do you have in your ride. also you can't determine the how loud it is by how you feel in your ride.

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OKLAHOMA

Post Number: 452
my balls wiggle on trap or die, is that 150?

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 2023
What subs?
What amp(s)
Whats box tuned to and how many cubes?
What vehicle?

Hell even if we know all what you got chad is right you can't determine how until it gets meter. Expect the worst hope for the best.

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 2350
Its a 93 ford explorer, 2 18" Qs in a sealed enclosure, id guestimate 7 or 8 cubes(i know alittle small) firing up, xx colossus amp, 1 gauge wiring, yellow top battery, and pioneer deck. How does it feel?? it hurts. It hard to stand it when you put it full blast its like i said if, have you ever had someone blow in you ear hard where it hurts?? Thats how it feels. On the low bass notes it shakes your whole body and slams bass aboveof your eyes under your forehead and it hard to concentrate on something inside the vehicle(basically it feels like its crushing your skull). Flexes roof a good inch, busted out the seal on the back left window. My wipers can move a little bit, and you can feel it id say about 20 to 35 feet outside the car.

And guestimates?? Thanx guys.

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13699
don't expect much with a sealed box. its not how loud it feels but how much pressure there is building up in your car.

i don't even want to guess cause its impossible. but good luck man.

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 2351
I think im explaining pressure, it hits so hard it feels like a shield pushing your body together, like when your change altitude when driving and the pressure hurts and pushes your ears X 10. I think ill build a big box tuned to like 52-55 hz for sunday and i know it will be loud just for the hell of it, but ya i cant believe the spl coming from a sealed enclosure.

O thanx i think ill take it for the spl trophy.

The main big serious one they have yearly, my friend said he was there and he honestly thinks i could of tooken it with what i got now last year it was like 147dbs. I cant wait for the high tuning.

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 2352
O they use a db meter called audio control not the TL, have you heard of this meter?? Is it accurate??

Gold Member

Post Number: 2038
I've heard audio control can be off by 5-9db but everyone know gets metered on the TL.

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 2353
Ya i would like to see what i hit on the TL but since bass isnt too serious in my state(except for me) they dont got nothing like a TL, the fu*king spl meter was donated to them so beggers cant be choosers. Lol watch me hit like a 163 on that meter lol jk.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2040
TJBaSsMeKaNiK

How many watts is that amp?

Do you know if your car can be running or does it have to be off?

If I remember right Chad Lee was hitting 150-152 with 2 15" fully loaded Fi BTLs on 2 Memphis 4kw on a TL.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Kingkong ain... I got Chuck ...

Post Number: 3173
IME sealed will tend to make it "feel like it hurts your chest" but doesnt build the SPL inside your ride up, its kinda like comparing more of SQ to SPL in a way

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 2354
Ya chads hitting that on a TL so that means hed be hitting like 157-161db on the audiocontrol right?? Maybe im hitting like low to luckly mid 140s on the TL and on the audio control 147-154db?? If its as off as you said it was then that sounds right. Its a Hifonics xx colossus 3200rms ultra d. Well lets see what the damn meter says already lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2043
Good luck I hope you hit a HIGH number.

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13704
i hope you hit high tj. 2 18s ain't a joke so it might suprise for the good.

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 2355
Thanx guyz, well lets see what happens sunday, i gotta try to design a box now.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3191
"Maybe im hitting like low to luckly mid 140s on the TL and on the audio control 147-154db?? "

Audiocontrol mics have to be calibrated.What they show for DB levels are based upon how accurate they are calibrated.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1780
rob is actually right on that one...ive seen them 5dB off a TL and then ive seen them less than 1dB off. alot of comps used/still use audiocontrol mics.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 5329
from one audiocontrol to another weve seen about a .9 db differece with the same setup in our car

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 5330
scratch that i meant to say a 1.1 db difference
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us