US Amps Merlin MD.23 vs. eD Nine.1

Silver Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 197
k i know they're not the same type of amp so let me explain.

this is to power a TC Sounds OEM 10" sub. Sub is rated at 800 RMS, but can probably take up to 1200 RMS. It is available in a single-4 ohm or a DVC good for 2-ohms. which one i get depends on the amp that i buy.

my options are either the MD.23 or the Nine.1

the MD.23 is rated at 1000 rms bridged @ 4ohms. It would be new, price is $250. no warranty, but has been tested it works. its essentially BNIB though.

the nine.1 only has about 2 months left on its 3 year warranty i believe. so essentially im counting that as no warranty. price is $230. its rated for 900x1@2ohms but at 12.5v. Its probably good for about a 1000rms @14.4v. So really not too audible of a change.

I'm leaning towards the US Amps cause of the higher quality and the fact that a 4 ohm load is easier on the amp than a 2 ohm load. Regardless, the eD is a proven powerhorse.

other stuff to consider....
the nine.1 is 5.5 inches shorter than the US Amps, and space is of a premium.
price difference doesn't matter. consider them the same price. im willing to pay the 250 just as much as im willing to pay the 230.

so overall what would you choose? if i may ask, why?

Silver Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 198
anyone?

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1276
i would get the nine.1 very good quality and i personaly prefer D block amps to class AB becuase D blocks are more efficient. The nine.1 it good cuz it has more power (probly around 1400 at 1ohm) incase u ever decide to upgrade in the future. its also smaller which u said is good for u

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2468
US Amps definitely wins in quality, but I always use class D amps for subs (more efficient).

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4602
Us amps is the best of both, but right now you should focus in a class D amp. Is hard for your charging system to handle 1000w rms from an a/b amp+other component amp.

If i were you, i'd pick dual 4 ohm version and grab kicker zx 750.1 or zx1000.1

IMO.

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 577
the nine.1 has a 65% listed efficiency on the Ed website if I remember right...

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 4371
what's posted on thier site doesn't mean anything.

from ed:

The rating on our web site is actually for the power supply in the amplifier. The amplifiers power supply can handle a 2500W load which would lead to a 1600W at 1 ohm output.

The overall efficiency rating of the amplifier would be closer to 80%. I do apologize if the ratings on the web site lead to any misunderstanding.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Chris Schempp

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 580
good to know, thanks. I was very worried when that was my amp choice and it said 65%.

Now do you know anything about 10 % off deal of some sort??? Thought I heard something about it here...

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1297
well eD used to have b-stock amps for cheaper (referbished but basicly new) call eD and ask if they got any left

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Kingkong ain... I got Chuck ...

Post Number: 2855
"the nine.1 only has about 2 months left on its 3 year warranty" -i didnt even think they were out longer then a year... lol

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 4381
call them and ask for 10% off, they'll give it to you. just got my nine.2x and shipped it cost $240.

Silver Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 602
yea im pretty positive ed always had 3 yr warranty on their amps killa. im POSITIVE it was 3 yrs when they had that huge pre-sale thing when they first came out cuz i was about to buy one :-)

Silver Member
Username: Stamant

LA, FL USA

Post Number: 251
For what its worth. I have both the Nine.2x and Nine.1. They have worked flawlessly until 3 weeks ago when the Nine.1 blew. I have had both now for 1 1/2 years. I returned the amp to ED. They fixed it right away under warranty. Very happy with their product and service.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us