alternator?

Bronze Member
Username: Theivan

Dawson Creek, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 61
my little brother has a stereo in his car basically like mine. hes running a JL 500/1 amp in my old ford tempo (1990). and hes ran into problems with his alternator after he got his stereo going. the alternator melted once but i thought it would be because the plugs were not fully in. then i put a new one in for him about 4 months ago and t melted again. is this the stereo or just the car? maybe the amps pulling too much power off it? does he need an alternator with more amps? where would he be able to get one for cheap? thanks!

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1263
Doesn't seem right. That amp isn't (or at least shouldn't be) a huge load for a 75A alt in a car like that.

However, the 75A ford alt I ran was the mitsubishi system, which are good alts.

The others are pretty weak - there's even a tech tip for a lot of the replacements saying to have the battery fully charged before installing the alt - they'll burn up if you don't

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1644
Sounds like those stock alts are just a POS. Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/180amp-Amputator-Series-Alternator-Ford-Mercury_W 0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQihZ019QQitemZ7962050169

Usually, the lowest priced GOOD QUALITY alts you can find are Iraggi. Not always, but usually.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
well thats what i thought. its not even a rebuilt. the one i just put in for him yesterday i did fully charge the battery, cleaned the posts, and i even took off and fixed the grounds. one of them had corroded a bit that i fixed so hopefully that was the problem. ford and mitsubishi have the same alts so yeah like you said the 75A's should be good. thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11928
upgrade the alternator and the wiring.
that 500/1 puts out close to 700 watts in reality, so you're looking at a car that needs about 50A for its own functions, plus the amp pulling up to another 58A

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
thanks for the link M.S. but this alternator doesnt have the fan on the outside (the stock one didnt either).

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11932
that's just a difference in casing style.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1658
^^^^

What he said. If it says it will fit, it will fit. Also with Iraggi the picture is just an example not necessarily the one you will get.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
so then it is the stereo! damn...alrigty well i might be getting rid of the car soon. GlassWolf does that mean that if i turn my amps gain down it wont draw as much current and keep my alternator safe? and it pushes almost 700 watts? :S im confused now

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
well the JL500/1's are class D's so they are basically 100% efficient someone told me but nothing that ive ever herd of (have my physics and Power Enginering) is ever 100% the amp could be about 90% but yeah sounds unlikely to me? anybody know for sure?

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 967
80% efficiency for class D amps is the average.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11944
Oleg's right. 80%, and the 500/1 is severely underrated. It's birth sheet is usually around 667 watts RMS

you can try turning down the gains. it's not an ideal solution, but it works as a temporary fix.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11945
on a side note, turning the volume down does the same thing.
using gains to adjust power only reduces the peak output.
the same audible volume takes the same amount of power (and a higher volume #) if the gains are down, and you still shoot for having it just as loud.

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 976
so ivan, you gettin a bigger alt for you lil bro?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
dont know if he wants to spend the money on it or if they offer a ho alt for the tempo? maybe i dont know but it might be a pain in the a*s cause he drives it but its still mine until i sell it eh? so yeah its up to him. i thinks its too big of a job for what its wort when itll be gone in 2 or 3 months why bother spending 400 bucks on an alt and then wiring and changing it all....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us