Complete loss of power?

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 647
This first happened a few days before I got the excessive amperage HO alt - car wouldn't start as if there was no battery at all. Waited a few minutes, started just fine. Happened twice today, only this time I waited only 10 seconds and everything was fine. In addition to that, my HU and all amps shut off randomly for a few seconds while driving and then turn back on. Once it happened 4 times in 2 minutes and it all started about 3 days ago. Happens at least once a day though. What could it be???

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1568
Sounds like a bad connection, probably a chassis ground. If you upgraded the "big three" I'd check your connections from the neg of the battery to the chassis and from the engine block to the chassis. Something could be loose.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 648
I haven't upgraded the big 3 yet, but I'll check. So this isn't a battery or an alternator prob?

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 938
When it doesn't want to start do your lights, radio, etc. all have power? If so, I'd guess that your starter motor may be on it's way out....

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 649
When it doesn't start, nothing has power. My alarm doesn't even work.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1569
Yeah check your battery posts for corrosion. If they're bad you can clean em up with some baking soda and water and a tooth brush or use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-LIS11120-Battery-Terminal-Cleaner/dp/B000FMM4HU

I had one for years that only saw occasional use, but when I did need it it cleaned things up good and quick.

Definitely sounds like a bad connection. If the posts look good try tightening the connections there. What makes me think it is a ground problem is the fact that your amps shut off while the car is running. That could be an entirely different problem however.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 650
Amps lose power for same reason as the HU. Reason I know this is because usually amps take about 2-3 seconds to shut off properly after the HU shuts off. When this happens, they shut off immediately. I will check the posts. Thanks, guys!

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 1999
Do what Fishy said. Also check your power wire to your inline fuse. I have experienced this problem before and found my power wire was coming out of the fuse block.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 658
I cleaned the posts with baking soda/water. Took the car to Vegas Monday and just came back...didn't have a problem with shutting off or not starting the entire time. Problem seems to be fixed! Thanks, guys!!

Bronze Member
Username: Theivan

Dawson Creek, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 21
haha thats funny i had the same problem and all it was was a bad connection to the posts. cleaned em up and no more problems. it kinda comes out of nowhere eh? :P

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 666
Yeah, it starts all of a sudden. Mine had just some black stuff around the posts and terminals.

Bronze Member
Username: Bradddgeezy

Fort Wayne, IN USA

Post Number: 15
Yeah I had a problem with a connection to the posts. The positive screw that went into the battery kept coming out. My car shut down in the middle of Dupont Road which is very busy. I got top post terminals!!!! this was a problem of a past. good luc;
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us