Adjusting gain and HU

Bronze Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Post Number: 25
i am getting extremely frusterated about adjusting gain on my amp and getting it right without clipping it. i dont have my subs yet(2 12'' SD2.5s) but i got my amp(rockford P6002) i had it hooked up to a mtx 7500 and it fried because i was dumb and did not use the gain and bass boost correctly. when i get my new subs and get it all hooked up im not going to even plug in the remote bass boost this time. so i was wondering if i could adjust everything on my HU to how i want it. (loudness on, bass at +6, custom EQ, HPF-80,LPF-80...etc) then turn the volume up to 40 out of 62. play an 80hz test tone, use a DMM to measure the amp output. then turn the gain up to reach 300-365wrms. which would be about 24-25volts. then if i were to ever want to turn the bass down a little to reach better perfomance on certain types of music i could do that. which is why i dont understand why putting the bass boost at 0 and other stuff would help anything cause if u ever wanted to turn the bass up u would start to clip the amp by going above the 0 mark. which is why i think it would be a good idea to tune your HU to how you would normally listen to it so then u could never clip the amp unless u turned the volume above that 40 mark. doesnt that sound right or.........? i mean if u set everything at 0 and at flat for EQ then after u adjust the gain your gunna want to change the treble, bass, EQ..etc, on the HU, which would result in clipping. right?????????????

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1599
Makes sense to me.

I usually just guess and make sure it sounds good. If things sound "harsh" I turn the gains down. It also depends on the hu. My Alpine sounds like crap with the volume all the way up, but my Clarion DRZ-9255:

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2007/audio/source_unit/CD/DRZ9255/us-en-pr oduct-pf_1165294764151.html

is like "buttah" even when its maxed out at the +6 dB setting.

However I hate bass boost. Always believe in running things flat and doing any necessary tweaking with more conventional EQing methods.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1600
Oh when I say coventional EQing methods I mean "cutting" not "boosting" any frequencies. I don't have a problem with turning DOWN bass and treble controls. Boosting them is when you run into problems.

If you want it louder buy a bigger amp.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1602
Oh when I say conventional EQing methods I mean "cutting" not "boosting" any frequencies. I don't have a problem with turning DOWN bass and treble controls. Boosting them is when you run into problems.

If you want it louder buy a bigger amp.

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Post Number: 26
if i just have my bass on my pioneer head unit at +6 and adjust the gain,then i can turn it down and up when i want without clipping anything. thats why i dont get why most people dont want that.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1603
Whatever blows your boat.

If I wanted more bass I'd just get a subwoofer control knob if one is available, keep a keen ear, and turn down the volume when it starts to sound crappy. Boosting frequencies can add quite a bit of distortion, but I've never been one to go crazy with the bass so may not be the right guy to answer your question.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us