Fuse help :-(

Bronze Member
Username: Theivan

Dawson Creek, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 16
hey i keep blowing 60 amp fuses on the power wire going to my amp (500/1 JL) and its only pushing 2 10 inch v2-4's. any ideas on what the problem is/how to fix this???

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6038
When does the fuses blow? When you turn on the amp or at high volume? What are the voicecoil configuration on the subs? Are they 2ohms DVC or 4ohms DVC? How are they wired?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
i think they're at 4 ohms each and the wiring is bringed (left pos, right neg) and then in the box the left positive goes to both subs and the right neg goes to both subs. so prolly 8ohms if im right? and then the fuse just blows when i have the volume up loud my gain at +8 (goes up to 10). But i know lots of people that dont even blow a 50amp fuse running 1200 watt amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
i think they're at 4 ohms each and the wiring is briged (left pos, right neg) and then in the box the left positive goes to both subs and the right neg goes to both subs. so prolly 8ohms if im right? and then the fuse just blows when i have the volume up loud my gain at +8 (goes up to 10). But i know lots of people that dont even blow a 50amp fuse running 1200 watt amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
sorry about the double post...could the problem be the fuse is too close to the battery? :S i dont know if that matters or not?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6039
Do you have DMM? You will need it to set the gains properly on the JL 500/1 amp as well as checking the ohms on the subs. You can't guess. That amp should operate without problems for 1.5ohms to 4ohms loads.
According to your post, you mentioned +8 gain setting. You can't set gains like that on the amp.
If you go to JL's website, they have a tutorial guide on gain setting for 500/1 amp. Follow it. It's not hard at all.
Once that's set, you amp shouldn't blow any more fuses.

Username: Rwhit59

Granite City, Illinois USA

Post Number: 2
Help, I have a 1999 Windstar that I replaced the factory radio in last week. During the replacement I blew the fuse to the radio which is also the fuse for the keyless door locks. According to the manual the fuse should be #6. I replaced this fuse but the radio and door locks still will not operate. Is there a hidden fuse that I am missing. Thanks alot.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11720
The 500/1 puts out 500 watts regardless of load, so that is about 42A of current.
If you're blowing 60A fuses, you have a bad amplifier.

Randy, check the other fuses in the fusebox to be sure another isn't blown.
replace them one at a time, or test them with a meter. Don't trust a visual check alone.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
glasswolf sorry about this and maybe im wrong but if you know the formula 500 watts and 8 ohms would be about 62 amps? amps = watts/ohms. right? :P so my amp isnt necessarily screwed then.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11740
no. watts is volts*amps.
you know the voltage is fixed, say 12VDC.
so amps = watts/volts

the impedance is irrelevant with this amp since its got a regulated output stage, and the power out is 500 watts at any load from 1.5 to 4 ohms

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
allright. well i blew the voice coils in my subs and so they replaced my amp and gave me some new subs for cheap and hes talkin to his boss cause its their amp that fucked up my subs so they should be free. allrighty then. thanks for the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us