My amp only accepts speaker level input, I want to convert RCA to this speaker level input

Username: Scotty562

Post Number: 1
Here's the dilema. I have an 01 Camaro with a factory monsoon amp that only accepts speaker level input. I'm currently running my laptop through the monsoon head unit to the amp via an AUX input. Let me tell you... it is less than reliable and I'm about to throw it out the window.

Anyway, what I would like to do is run my laptop (rca) directly to my amp. As far as I can understand, I need to convert my RCA into speaker level input.

This is where the entire problem lies. All I can find are devices that convert speaker level input into RCA which is fine if I wanted to add another amp but that's not what I want to do.

I know another option is to replace the amp with an aftermarket one but I really would rather not deal with that. Plus this would allow me to completely remove my head unit which would free up a bunch of space for my touchscreen and other goodies.

Again the final question, where can I buy a device that converts RCA to speaker level input.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3774
look for something called a line out converter it converts speaker wire into RCAs and it might work reverse as well check it out

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6009
Ho Ho ho, are you using the laptop with a sub amp or full range amp? If you can't find a converter, you can always use a pre-amp. I've seen some that accept RCA with RCA output, as well as speaker level. They cost around $50 or less.

Bronze Member
Username: Jeromebaker

Post Number: 84
Line out converters, and stock amps period, are bad news. You will get sh itty SQ, it will keep the amp on all the time, even when the radio is off, I have seen car audio shops sell the cheaply mad sh its for upwards of $100 plus install.

Quick question, you mean you are running you computer's harddrive through an auxillary input for a music source?
Because JVC and others make hU's with usb ports which might be better suited to your application.

If so,
Best advice you're gonna get:
Get rid of that whole monsoon setup. You will get much better performance out of even an entry-level aftermarket head unit. Pull the factory amp as well. Odds are it puts out between 20-50 watts rms to 4 channels, which is what a good HU will do, and if you want to do a better job get a 4 channel amp as well. I guarantee better sound quality and function.

It will be less work in the long run to just do it right, rather than ghetto-rigging some hoopty till it breaks or you get sick of the ghetto-ness.
Let us know what you do.

Post Number: 2
Lol.. ho ho ho, I didn't realize they put your name directly on the forum or I wouldn't have chosen that.

I'm using a laptop with a usb sound card. I have no idea what a sub amp or a full range amp is, I'm assuming the laptop itself is pushing the sound and once it hits my head unit it converts it to whatever my amp needs.

This pre-amp you're talking about sounds like a good idea. The only thing is, I need the output in a form my amp will accept. I'm not really even sure what that is other than speaker level input. I'm assuming it is individual wires.

Would it be possible to take one of these pre-amps and lob the RCA jacks off and splice them into what my amp will accept?

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3786
no you cant change them because it converts the voltage and stuff.

if a line out converter wont work i would just get some pretty cheap extrenal amps

Gold Member

Post Number: 6011
The pre-amp has comes with RCA input (for portable cd players as well as notebook), RCA output for more modern amps, and speaker level outs (4 wires) for factory installed amps like yours.
Do not take appart the pre-amp and use the jacks. It doesn't work that way with your amp.

Post Number: 3
"Line out converters, and stock amps period, are bad news. You will get sh itty SQ, it will keep the amp on all the time, even when the radio is off, I have seen car audio shops sell the cheaply mad sh its for upwards of $100 plus install."

I like the quality of the stock amp. I'm not sure about other amps but mine only turns on when it detects a signal.

"Quick question, you mean you are running you computer's harddrive through an auxillary input for a music source?
Because JVC and others make hU's with usb ports which might be better suited to your application."

Yes, I'm running through an aux input. those head units will work for just music, but I use the laptop for navigation and gps.

"It will be less work in the long run to just do it right, rather than ghetto-rigging some hoopty till it breaks or you get sick of the ghetto-ness.
Let us know what you do."

I think going straight from my sound card to the amp is the right way to do it. Right now running my sound card through my head unit is ghetto to me and I'm allready tired of its unreliability.

I'll admit though getting a new amp would allow me to directly connect my sound card to the amp which would solve all the problems I'm having. But that's more in dept than I'm willing to deal with right now.

My setup is currently this:
Laptop > usb sound card > aux input to head unit > stock amp > speakers

I want to go to this:
Laptop > usb sound card > amp > speakers

Actaually I just found this:
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=753

It's not a pre-out but it would convert rca to speaker level. I'm doing this right now exept it's through the factory head unit.

Could I then use that in conjunction with something like a regular pre-amp to get the correct wattage?

Post Number: 5
"The pre-amp has comes with RCA input (for portable cd players as well as notebook), RCA output for more modern amps, and speaker level outs (4 wires) for factory installed amps like yours.
Do not take appart the pre-amp and use the jacks. It doesn't work that way with your amp."

Could you post a link to what you are referring to? A pre-amp with rca in and speaker level out would be perfect.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6013
Here's one for you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ELECTRONIC-SUBWOOFER-CROSSOVER-BOOST-FOR-CAR-AMPS_W0QQit emZ330096825038QQcategoryZ14931QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330096825038#ebayph otohosting

Or do search on eBay # 330096825038.
It's a bass booster and Xover. It works with sub amp and full range amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us