Mixing batterys with different floater voltages...

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1707
I have 2 optimas right now... a yellow top and red top, the red under the hood. I am going to be replacing them all with kinitiks a HC1800 under the hood and 4 HC2400's in the rear. I want to go ahead and order the HC1800 and put it under the hood and run the 2 optimas in the rear for now, with the kinetiks batterys sitting in the 13V~ range with the car off and the optimas sitting at 12.6V~ will the batterys break or have any issues?

I only have a 100A H\O right now i am ordering the 300A next weekend.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5992
Never mix batteries with different voltages. The one with lower volts will drain the other one.
Just curious, why do you need to many batteries? If you ever get into an accident, you'll either get fried by the battery acids or get crushed by flying dead weights.
Unless you're into competition, that many batteries are not needed.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1720
that was my thought on it.. the higher voltage battery would basically act as a alternator to the low voltage batterys... :-( so i have to swap them all out at once.... damn1t :-(

Yea its gunna be for comp's eventually but i still need atleast 6000rms worth of current available, i can only get 1 300A H\O installed....cant find a place for brackets for a second :-( but its for a daily\comp setup

Gold Member
Username: Rvlacos

DD 3512 , VR1000D 15= overcomp...

Post Number: 1887
"get fried by the battery acids"

dry cell!

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1229
I don't see the problem.
If the Kinetic has a higher resting voltage, yes, it will discharge into the optimas when the engine's off, but only until they're all @ 12.6, and which point they'll all be happy.
They should equalize in a few minutes to an hour or so.

What's the big deal?

There's WAY worse stuff going on when the engine's running and the system's blasting.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6010
Try this analogy.
Item A: 1.5v D Cell
Item B: 1.2v C Cell.
Now mix those 2 and see what result you get.

It was NEVER a big deal. Some people prefer not to waste power.

Username: Malic

Oklahoma City, OK U Essay

Post Number: 1
Use isolators...

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1231
Waste power?
There's no waste. It's just moving from one battery to another.
Besides - the analogy doesn't really apply. Yust how much effect will a .4v settlement effect a 13-14v system??
A hell of a lot less than .25v on a 1.5v system.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1562
If the Kinetic has a higher resting voltage, yes, it will discharge into the optimas when the engine's off, but only until they're all @ 12.6, and which point they'll all be happy

You sure about that statement?

I'm sure once things calm down the Optimas will be perfectly happy with 12.6v. I doubt the Kinetic will. Every time this guy starts his car after its been sitting a while his alternator is going to have to charge that Kinetic back to 13v and until it does the system will have less current available to it. Not a big deal with a 300 amp alternator. Might be with a 100 amp.

Isaac is absolutely correct when he says its a waste of power, or energy in this case. How much really depends on the charge state of the kinetic at 12.6 volts. 0.4 volts may not seem a lot, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Kinetic lost 75% of its amphr rating at 12.6 volts. It might not be a happy camper at all.

If there's nothing wrong with the redtop just wait til you get the cash to buy all three Kinetics.

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Check out my forum!

Post Number: 1145
Hey I've heard about you Fishy...werent you and Isaac and Glasswolf all around here at the same time?

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1564
Yeah. Got a "new" truck which reqires a new system so I'm gettin back into it again. Been spending most of my time at CAC:

http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/index.php?

Glasswolf pokes his head in there every once in a while and Jonathan's usually around to give out good advice too.

:-)

-Fishy

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1235
"I wouldn't be surprised if the Kinetic lost 75% of its amphr rating at 12.6 volts. It might not be a happy camper at all."

If that's the case then the "be all/end all" status the Kinetics have established for themselves is horse$hit and we should all just run $60 Everstart Maxx's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6016
This thread need to end before it gets off topic.
If you disagree with Fishy's/my post, then that's fine.
However, to say "until they're all @ 12.6, and which point they'll all be happy" is not accurate. Optimas and Kinetics have different discharge rates when they hits certain voltage levels.
I've seen batteries where after 10v, the discharge rate drops sharply, while others took longer, 8.2v. Now before you dissect my post, I'm not saying it's the same with Optimas and Kinetics. Since the batteries are not all made with same quality, you can't assume they'll perform/react equally.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1566
To be honest I have no idea what the charge state of a Kinetic is at 12.6v. Have to ask Kinetic. 75% energy loss probably IS a big overstatement and you may be right that this whole thing is "no big deal". Keeping the batteries "the same" just seems like a good idea to me.

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 1939
I remember when Fishy was always on here. He knows his sh1t

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3806
hey fishy, im going down to lauderdale to the swap shop around the end of this month, if you want to check out eachothers systems let me know if you have time

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1567
Lol, I really don't have a system right now. My new truck is "stock" and the old truck is sittin in the driveway with the transmission layin on the ground waitin for a new clutch.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/846007

The thing sounds like crap anyways. 8 years of heavy use has really put a hurtin on both the 10w3's and the MB Quart 5 1/4's. Had to pull the DRZ-9255 for repair as well and haven't had a chance to tweak things with the old Alpine. Its still loud though, just very, very sloppy and to me quite irritating.

:-)

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3824
looks good, damn 8 years of heavy use, you really got your moneys worth out of them
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us