Fusing alt to batt power wire

Silver Member
Username: Hellbender

Winnetka, California USA

Post Number: 211
I know its basically a good idea to fuse the alt to batt power wire when doing the "big 3" . I did this on my last car which came from the factory fused and had a wire run of about 3.5 feet.
So my question is this, is this necessary even if it wasnt fused from the factory? Also the distance is only about 2 feet or less from alt to batt so what do you think? Thanks,

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4947
The only reason it's recommended is for when you're getting your car jump started, in case you reverse the polarity of the jump start cables.

I personally don't have it fused.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11775
generally yes its a good idea to put a fuse there, and use a fuse rating matched to the peak current capacity of the wire.. like 225A for 4AWG etc. This fuse is simply there to protect against a dead short if something penetrates the wire, or it comes loose from the connection, to prevent an engine fire.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4969
Yeah..my bad for not mentioning that. :-) I can't believe how expensive fuses and their corresponding holders are.

Silver Member
Username: Hellbender

Winnetka, California USA

Post Number: 212
thanks you guys, i appreciate the info looks like I'll be fusing it :-) . I havent posted here in awhile and its good to see some familair faces still helping out.

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Earth

Post Number: 378
0awg-400amp
1awg-325amp
2awg-200amp
4awg-125amp
6awg-80amp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts