4/3/2 channel amp - 6 speakers???

Username: Ryan1265

Post Number: 9
I'm getting a kenwood kac-8403 4/3/2 channel amp that I plan to run 6 speakers from. Its for my boat, i thought i would run the 4 stock speakers from 2 channels (2 speakers on each channel=2 ohm load) and the 2 tower speakers from another channel giving me a 2 ohm load again. However, this would leave one channel unused. Does it work to use 3 channels of a 4 channel amp and just not use the 4th one? I suppose i could bridge 2 of the channels and run the tower speakers from the bridged channel, but i think that would most likely be too much power for them...Are amps capable of running 2 channels each at 2 ohms along with a bridged channel at 2 ohms as well? Or does the bridged channel need to be 4 ohms? Ohms ohms ohms, confusing

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9404
why not just run 4 speakers at 2 ohms from the front 2 chan and 2 speakers one off each chan to the rear at 4 ohms?

Post Number: 10
well that was the other alternative that i was considering but i wouldnt be getting quite as much power as i could by wiring for 2 ohms.

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9407
is it 2 ohms bridged stable?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
hmm, just did sum more research and found that its 4 ohm stable bridged, so i guess its not stable at 2 ohms, or at least it doesnt say anything about it. Is it a common thing for amps to be 2 ohm stable in bridged mode?

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9408
if they are 1 ohm stereo stable then yes. You can run it at 2 ohms stereo so run the 4 speakers to the front at 2 ohms and the only other option you have is to run the rear 2 speakers at 4 ohms off the other 2 chan.

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9409
if it isn't enough for you then you can run 4 speakers off of the 4 chan at 4 ohms and get a separate 2 chan just for the tower that will give it more power.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
ill probly stick with the 4 chan and run the tower speakers at 4 ohms seams to makes the most sense. i was hoping for the most power being that there tower speakers and they need to put alot out to be heard way back there wen wakeboarding, but 60watts is a fairly good amount and should hopefully be enough to get the job done. Thanks alot for your help.
ryan

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9412
no problem man, good luck bro.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us