I have 2 kicker 05cvr12's . I'm new to the car audio scene. Not sure
whether to get mono or another channel and how many watts to get the
most bass without blowing sub or overheating amp. I like a lot of
bass.

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 465
Could've sworn I replied earlier. Lady in distress, are you following up on your threads?

Username: Bigbass24

Post Number: 4
I guess you did....sorry....can you explain your answer a little more

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 466
Earlier I said, "My friend has those subs hooked up to orion HCCA-d1200 and that amp lets them get full excursion without distorting. His subs are dual 4ohm coils, if yours are too, then you can get that amp (eBay). If you have dual 2ohm coils, you'll need an amp that produces 800W RMS at 2ohms. Also, be sure to include a budget."
Essentially, first I need to know if your subs have 2ohm or 4ohm voice coils. You should find that on the box. If you can't get that info from the number, give me the entire model number and it should look something like this...CVR12-2 or CVR12-4. The last number is the coil resistance.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 467
Also, I need to know how much cash we're spending here :-)

Post Number: 5
Cash is not problem...and its 4 ohm...oh yeah thanks for your help

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 470
Like I've been recommending to everyone with those subs, orion HCCA-d1200 amp. You can get it cheaper on eBay. It'll give you a little over 300W per sub at 1ohm. To achieve 1 ohm load you'll need to connect the coils in parallel and subs in parallel. If you're getting all this professionally installed, the installer should know all this from amp's and subs' spec.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 472
It's also worth noting that getting good subs and a good amp is only half the battle. Since you said you like a lot of bass, you should look into getting a custom made ported enclosure designed specifically for those subs. That will ensure you're getting maximum output out of those subs. You can also get a sealed box, which will sound a bit better, but will be a bit less loud.

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 1826
I actually don't think sealed boxes sound better than ported.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 475
To you louder may be better, but sealed boxes have a flatter response, meaning it's capable of playing a wider range of frequencies at the same (pressure) level. This is more suited for sound quality applications.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1237
"Cash is not problem...and its 4 ohm...oh yeah thanks for your help"-We can find you amps that are thousands of dollars and we can't be sure what to reccomend you unless we know a budget.People always say budget doesn't matter and then they realize that a system can cost you 10 grand or even more and we also need a limit so we can know what amp or equipment to reccomend for your setup.

Post Number: 6
oh sorry ...well looking for something under 1000 ....just want to let you guys know i appreciate your honest answers....cause this stuff is confusing but i'm a music fanatic and love good sound quality and bass...to feel the music

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3560
1 12 fiaudio.com Q
get someone to build you a box
kicker zx750.1 for an amp
crystal scss i think it is for front speakers
and directed a802 for speaker amp

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 491
You'll need bigger, better subs to spend that much. You can either get the orion amp I suggested above or get the JBL BPX 500.1. It'll give you same power at 1 and 4 ohms, so wire the subs at 4ohms to increase the damping factor(don't worry about it's meaning, it's just the bigger the better). So wire subs' coils in series (pos to neg) and subs themselves in parallel. Again, tell this to your installer and he'll be able to do it for you.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3562
my bad is crystal sscs

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 492
good choices, but she already has the subs and not sure if she's buying the rest of the stuff...yet?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9237
Oleg whats good man? haven't seen you on here in a long time. I would go sealed with the orion amp that was recommended.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 493
Yeah, sealed is good...that's the exact setup my friend has. With Polk comps, boston coax, the orion, and hifonics zeus amp. Sounds pretty damn loud in a sealed box with good SQ.
BTW I've been good, man, just got depressed about the car stereo stuff for a while b/c I didn't think I could get anymore power, but now that I found an HO alt for me, I'm back in biz...

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9247
nice well welcome back:-)

Post Number: 8
i already have a custome box that's ported....the subs are 400 rms each so why would you get a 500.1

Post Number: 9
can you guys make it easy and give me the name and model of the amp so i can look up the specs

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9267
if you look ^^^^^^^ you will see Oleg said Orion Hcca d1200.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 494
You can go to JBL.com and look up the BPX amp, it's the power series. Here it is on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-BPX500-1-MONOBLOCK-AMPLIFIER-NEW-BPX5001-MONO-AMP_W0QQit emZ300086070722QQihZ020QQcategoryZ18797QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It puts out 718W (and then some) into 4 ohms. You can get a pricier BPX1100.1, but your subs stand no chance with it...that amp is too much for them :-)

Either or Orion or JBL will do you just fine.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1249
Lol...I wonder if the original maker of this thread really is a woman.It's a much better idea to post as a woman because you'll get more help :-)

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 502
haha i think she is a woman

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
oleg thanks for all your help.....you're the greatest.....any other suggestions for my system or welcome from you....you sound like you know what you're talking about

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 512
Thanks! What are you gonna get though? lol

i wish i had this much sense when designing my system long ago, but i'm redoing it now and it should be much better. btw what's your phone #? jk

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1710
Oleg... i have a JBL bp1200.1 been beating the Cr@p outta my 250rms pioneer 10's in and out of my ride for the past 2 years... no problems there :-) love the amp

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 516
Let's hope those kickers feel the same way. My friend does have those same kickers, and it takes about 250W rms for each for them to get full excursion, so it is better for the charging system in a sense. I'm glad your pioneers are so strong! And that is a really nice amp btw!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us