Intermittent Alternator Whine

Username: Jalt

Post Number: 1
I have alternator whine that seems pretty complicated. The whine is intermittent. I had no problems for about 3 years after installation. It seems to always occur when I'm leaving work in the afternoon, but only happened once in the morning. The whine will start or go off when I go over a bump, or I can make it go on or off by doing a "Fonzie" punch into the head unit (Pioneer DEH-1100) or by removing the head unit from the dash (while still wired in) and tilting it.

Despite the fact that it seems to be generated at the head unit, even if I disconnect the RCA cables at the amp the same thing happens.

Any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 427
What makes you think the whine's coming from the alternator then?

Post Number: 2
Ok. Good question. And sorry, I'm new to this.

I assumed that "alternator whine" was a general term for a whine that changes pitch with the speed of the motor (which it does and I should have mentioned). That was the only reason I called it alernator whine.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 430
I'm very familiar with that whine. This is most likely a ground problem. Your head unit may be have a bad ground or grounded too close to the engine. Also, check your amp ground.

Post Number: 3
Would it have to be an internal problem with the head unit since it seems to come and go depending on the position of the head unit?
As I said, if I have the unit out of the dash, but still wired in, I can get the whine to come and go by tilting or slapping the head unit, even if the RCA cables are out of the amp. This is why I didn't suspect a simple ground problem.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 431
Yes, it may be defective. First, do check the grounds - don't want to discount that possibility. To my recollection, my head unit that had this problem was defective. How new is the Pioneer though?

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3494
ground the Hu in a different spot.

Post Number: 4
Ok. Thanks for the suggestions.
I should make a correction. When I unplug the RCA's the whine goes away (I could have sworn it didn't).

I will check the grounds. The Pioneer is about 5 or 6 years old. This problem started about a year ago.

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 617
^^^^^

That completely changes things then.

Pioneer HUs are known for burning out the RCA ground inside the HU. Take a piece of wire and hook one end to the outer ring part of the RCA connector, the other end to the metal case of the HU. Do that for both RCA connectors, and see if the noise goes away.

Post Number: 5
Thanks. I'll try that and report back with what I find.

Post Number: 6
Yes, grounding out the right RCA gets rid of the whine. I think I can take it from here, but suggestions are still welcome.

Thanks, I never would have figured that out on my own.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 438
I knew it was a ground problem, but I would've never known the RCA ground could've burned! Nice work! Jesse, wouldn't you be happier if the HU just needed to be replaced?? You would get a new, cooler toy!!

Post Number: 7

Yeah, I want to update, but my budget says fix it!

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 439
LOL I feel you. If you get that 8V eclipse HU, you'll be my hero jk haha
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us