Starting a sounds dealership...

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1465
How much and whats all required.. how much time involved... to start a sounds shop LEGALLY

Silver Member
Username: Andysd03

Lethbridge, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 461
hmm a business license is a must, a couple big loans,few workers or helpers,stock or inventory,dealers(companies that would be your dealer in selling u stock),business plan what do u want your business to be like,does it include lots of employies or little any or no stock? the bank uses the business plan if its good enough they apporve the loan thats what i can think of for now

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 354
In addition to what Andy mentioned, you need a sales tax license, and a bunch of other forms. With your business and tax licenses you will be able to buy stock at dealer cost if, and only if, you can buy enough to make it worth the distributors time. Some will have smaller initial minimum purchase requirements than others, but most won't even give you the time of day unless you want to buy in fairly large quantities.

I will tell you from personal experience that you will be working 12-16 hour days EVERY day until you get your biz running smooth. And usually for months after. But keep in mind that every hour of hard work you put in will be for you, and not some azzhole boss. This makes it easier but it's still no cakewalk. If you are one of those that thinks "man I am sick of working eight hours a day, I want to start a business so I can kick back" -- trust me, it doesn't work like that.

I posted a link below that really helped me sort through all the BS that is required. Spend a few hours really studying this site and it will help you unbelievably in the long run. You are pretty young and the banks most likely won't give you a business loan, so you are going to need your parents or someone to co-sign with you and put up some home equity for collateral.

It's a hard road man, alot of stress, but if you really truly want it....go for it.

http://www.sba.gov/smallbusinessplanner/plan/getready/serv_sbplanner_startfaq.ht ml

Silver Member
Username: Spkrman

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 161
" If you are one of those that thinks "man I am sick of working eight hours a day, I want to start a business so I can kick back" -- trust me, it doesn't work like that. "

x10...

To even post this on a forum tells that you have a *long* way to go before your ready to open upa shop.

My advice... dont rush into anything... and don't force yourself into it if it doesn't look like its going to work. And if somehow you getto the point where you feel confident in opening it up... make sure you have $ coming in from as many sources as possible... walmart didn't get big because they sell cheap jeans... they got big because they sell everything, so even if one department falls on its face, you at least have the other ones to stay afloat.

Silver Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Chicago, Illinois I Eats Beats...

Post Number: 840
Think about it, plan for it, and make connections for years in advance are all key according to my boss. He's the owner of a very successful local toy store. After 4 years we opened our second location which just had its 1 year anniversary. Mark and Brad are absolutely right about the work load...after 5 years he is still busting his @ss all day every day.

Word of mouth, reputation and just connecting with people are key too, my boss says it's like being a politician, you gotta talk to anyone who's willing to listen...half the customers that come in our store greet Mike (the owner) with a hug and a 10 minute conversation if he's there.

Silver Member
Username: Impala63rag

DD 9512s , Orion d5000

Post Number: 577
What's the market like in your area? Does anyone there sell high end equipment? Start small and work your way up. All the legalities aren't as bad as what they sound. You can do it if you are willing to work for it. If your wanting to do it on a budget, you'll have to slim the inventory at first. Just deal with a handful of reputable dealers. Then try to offer something that no-one in your area offers. Next is marketing, you've got to find a way to get the word out that you alone carry the best products available, and get them in your shop. Good luck, hope you decide to go for it.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 words

Post Number: 3833
I'll buy a sub from you.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1046
Pitbull what's the name of your shop?Maybe I'll stop by there sometime :-)

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1480
Well the stock in my area pretty much sucks....

Prices are crazy and the best they have is JL the W7 goes for like 600-800 in the shop to.. the 1000\1 goes for about 1000$... 200A alt installed goes for 600-700... think about it its not the best.... and for other brands.. im not really insulting these ones im listing but this is all i can really think of that i can actually recall seeing...

Kenwood
Earthquake
Memphis
JL
Alpine
Clarion
Sony
Boss
Lanzar
Rockford Fosgate

theres alot better out there that i dont ever see in shops.. there is only a few good brands listed and at these shops the earthquake amp i got they wanted 1200$ for.. it was soo funny cuz i only paind what.. 500 brand new with warranty lol and they always have prefab boxes.... they never really make custom ones for sound.. they rarely do custom stuff but thats so overpriced its funny... What i was thinking.. once i get the name out around here with those prices\ in this market.. ill beat all that and my stuff would do lots better.. these people seriously shouldn be working thier... just from what i learned here.. they dont even kno half of it.. they kept trying to sell me a cap when i was asking about the alternator... they didnt listen.. stock 100A alt... vs 4Krms when i first needed it... cap wont do sh!t lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us