HO alternator

Bronze Member
Username: Stevefrench

Post Number: 78
so i got a stock 96 cavalier, does nebody know wat my alternator is rated???, im running a RF P3001 and a clarion apa2104 ( P2 12" and dual 6.5" T1's) when i turn the volume up on my deck to like 30 everything cuts out, i didnt think i would need to upgrade my alternator cause its under 500W rms...wat should i do i need to fix this problem as cheap as possible, would a cap and another battery help???

when in park, i rev engine up to like 3000 rpm and i can run my volume at like 30-35 but once the rpms drop to like 750 it cuts out.....

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 words

Post Number: 3698
Cap won't help. New alt man. Sorry.

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 301
Sounds like wiring issues maybe? You shouldn't need a HO alt with those two amps unless that stock Chevy one is really weak.

But it wouldn't hurt, except your wallet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
could it be that i might have the pos/negative wrong on my sub or something...just something stupid like that??

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2010
Do the big 3. Make sure your power and grounds are tite. By tite, I mean large AWG wire, not some puny 10awg. For 500wrms, I would go to 4 awg. Its a bit overkill but if you upgrade later... Also, power wire and ground should be the same size.

Bronze Member
Username: Dchrsf

Post Number: 13
01 sunfire has a 105amp, so id guess it is also a 105amp. a sunfire is a cavalier by pontiac..so

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 302
Exactly right David, I was just looking that up when you posted. Something is wrong in your wiring like I said..... do everything Marc just posted and also check for shorts, sketchy crimps etc. Here is a step-by-step for the Big 3 if you don't know about that:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=73496&PN=1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
so my ground might not be good enough, its got like 1/2 the wires on the bolt....could the ground be the problem even though the amps are both on??? and why would my deck shut off....

Silver Member
Username: Solobaric4life

Seminole, Al United states

Post Number: 247
all u gotta do it look on it and see

for example it will say, 105A thats a 105amp alt

on stock alt's ^^^^, but i would get higher amp

Silver Member
Username: Solobaric4life

Seminole, Al United states

Post Number: 248
i didnt notice that amp, u wont need high alt unless u upgrade

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
so then why does it cut out when i bump too loud??

system= breakin my balls lately

Bronze Member
Username: Dchrsf

Post Number: 14
which headunit do you have? If pioneer (OEL display) you can check the voltage on it. See if its below 11v at any time. You can use a Digital Multi meter also to check voltage coming your the bat or alt.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1449
with oem 500rms is still nothing in a cav. i just had 1300rms running on stock in a cav. for about 4 months.. dads ride haha i think you have gain to high or somthing clipping maybe?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us