OT: best MP3 player

Silver Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 391
im looking to use an mp3 and i need your guys help, heres my requirements.

adleast 20 GB
napster for sure compatible
and USB enabled

im planning on just buying the napster to go and downloading unlimited songs to my MP3 then hooking it up to my HU. i know a lot of u guys are into bittorrent but im not into P2P and bitorrent.
with all that said the best deal i can find is a toshiba gigabeat 40 GB for 150. anybody know of anything cheaper?

Silver Member
Username: Brady_f

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 103
so your budget is around 150 or so. Also, how many songs do you plan on putting on the mp3 player. 40GB can hold like 7000 to 8000 songs....can you honestly need that much space.

IPOD FTW!

Silver Member

Post Number: 392
i wanna stay away from ipod because its 99 cents per track. i would really be happy with around 20 gb im sure i just want to make sure its napster to go compatible

Silver Member

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 104
just d/l morpheus or limewire and buy an ipod...problem solved; especially the 99 cents per track issue

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 270
Hands down the best mp3 players out there are the Creative Nomad Zen series:
http://www.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=213

You won't find an mp3 player with better SQ anywhere. Creative has been making those WAY before apple came out with the ipod (which by the way is not compatible with any music download service except iTunes.)

The Creatives are compatible with the protected WMA format used by napster. And of course they will also play your mp3s.

About the price, they are not cheap but the price is worth it for the excellent build quality.

That all may sound like a sales pitch but they have a reputation for being very good. I have owned one for several years, I bought it when hard drive based mp3 players first came out, and it still works like new. And it will crush an ipod or any other newer player in terms of sound quality.

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Future 15 Wanger!!, Wisconsin

Post Number: 1688
i have an ipod and love it casue i have it directly hooked up to my hu so i can control it from my hu and its great

Silver Member

Post Number: 394
thanks for the input so far guys, but i will NOT DOWNLOAD ILLEGALY. i am not doing p2p nor bitorrent.
im set on a DRM service like napster to go.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 3260
i just got my first mp3 player, a creative zen v plus, and so far i love it. great sq on it, preset eq, bass boost, easy menus', and setup was easier than i expected. only thing is the earphones that came with it sucks, but you can upgrade them.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2403
Funny you get more SQ by using a different MP3 player, lol. Listen up, that is impossible because the fact is the MP3 compression format has degraded the SQ to begin with. Listen to the difference between your favorite cd and the same in MP3 format, BIG DIFFERENCE. BTW, Ipod is the #1 in multi-format media players... Polo. :-O

Silver Member

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 105
^^^X2

Silver Member

Post Number: 271
Ctmike just brought up an important feature I forgot about, the built in EQ. They don't just have different EQ presets, you can adjust each individual band like you would on a setero system's EQ.

With a high end set of headphones you can get really good sound for a portable player.

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
Polo, I don't mean to insult you cause you seem to know your stuff about car audio...

But have you ever heard music in uncompressed wav format on a high quality player like a creative? Compare that to most other players, and it's like a Pioneer Premier HU vs. a regular Pioneer HU. One has the high quality components that give you better SQ, the other doesn't. Neither of them are bad.

Sure, if your playing compressed music such as mp3 you won't hear the SQ difference. In addition to the SQ, the build quality of the Creative players is excellent IMO and that's the main reason I recommend them to people...

Silver Member
Username: Gh0st_31

FL USA

Post Number: 234
Toshiba Gigabeat S. THat beast does EVERYTHING my buddy has one and boy is it sweet

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 249
ive heard napster to go sounds good only on paper...that wasnt a literal sounds good, a buddy of mine had it and said it kinda sucked, use limewire or if you wanna be legitimate, pay the one time 30 bucks for limewire pro, or just download limewire pro off limewire free trial haha...

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

SSX, Tenneki US of A

Post Number: 1245
youre a b!tch. fu*kin download illegally you pus*y...

Silver Member

Post Number: 396
yeah i hate that illegal downloading i think its a sh!tty thing to do, anyway anyone know the format that napster to go lets you download at? because it would make a huge difference to me if the songs were 128 kbps compared to an uncompressed WAV file...

Silver Member
Username: Usask8er1

15 Orion H2 powered by..., 4 15 IDSPL &... 15 INCH WANGERS

Post Number: 613
rent cds from your local library. I rent over 100 at a time. right now my itunes has 263 days of music on it with no repeats. that way you dont have to pay for songs

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 3295
i dont know trey...but i have an ipod and it keeps me happy...lol
just thought id throw out my 2 cents lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 400
do you know what file format the songs are ? because if itunes is uncompressed i might just get an ipod

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
iTunes uses protected AAC files, meaning you can't play them on any player except the ipod. And they are VERY compressed, 128 kbit. They sound worse than a high bitrate mp3.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us