Power Vs. Ohm's

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1007
does the power handling of the sub decrease as the ohm increases like the output of most amps would be like, or does it just give the sub alot more control over the power and all, im running my only power acoustic mofo from my earthquake phd5000d at 4ohms at full power and the subs doesnt seem like it is having any problems at all controling the power at all... and one other thing.... when wiring subs up... if i was to wire a pair of dual 2 ohm subs for a goal of 2ohms for one amp and wired each in paralel then the 2 togethor in series so each sub is 1ohm making the total load 2ohms, would that sound as good as wiring the subs in series then in paralel so each sub is 4ohm? I was thinking for a while the subs should still see the same ohms but the amp see's the total load so would that be more of a SQ type setup running it like that, also giving the subs better control of the power?

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3495
no matter what ohm load you have, the subs power handling stays the same. the higher the ohm load the more efficient the system is and sounds better. However, almost all cant tell the difference. so as long as the amp is 1 ohm stable, its fine to run it at 1 ohm rather than getting an amp that would run the same power at 4 ohm

Gold Member

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1010
but i can tell the difference for sure though i have always noticed it but never really cared before but now i just thought of the question about wiring subs all togethor to make one total load. Like if i wired the subs in parelel\series or series\paralel if they would sound different for some reason i have a good idea that they would sound better like the subs would see the 4ohm load still but the amp would see 2ohms. get what im saying?

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2783
your post is very confusing and doesnt make sence.

impedance doesnt affect SQ. it affects the resistance on the amp. so a lower resistance will see more power.

if your subs sound sh;tty at a lower ohm they are probly getting to much power.

PA subs arnt going to have SQ to give a damn about anyway

Gold Member

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1011
thats not the point tho i dont care what brand it is basically what im gettin at is the sub(s) going to have more control over the power at a high ohm even if the total ohm load the amp is seeing is lower..... i am giving the sub more power now then i was before and it is handling it with no problems at all it wont even bottom out with me trying to make it..

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3497
yes, very confusing. my thoughts may be this.... you are now giving your subs enough clean power where as before, at a high load, you amp could put out let power before clipping and so you;d turn the gain up until clipping and of course its not as loud because of the power drop but sounds worse because its clipping.

the subs dont see an ohm load, the amp does.

no matter how you wire up any speakers, if the final load is 4 ohms, its all going to sound the same.

did i catch onto anything your saying there? lol

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2789
yeah you seem to be saying that the subs are one impeadance and the amp is seeing something else. which just isnt the case, they are both the same, thats just how it works.

maybe they sounded different because like trevor said they were clipping at a different ohm load.

but what i was saying is if they sound ok at 4ohm but not at 1ohm is because more power is going to them at 1 and either your clipping or they cant take that much power or with when power increases they sound crappyer

Gold Member

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1012
hmm maybe its easier said this way... i had 2 power acoustik mofo 12's at one point until the one blew out... they were wired individually to 1ohm from the dual 2ohm config then ran in series so the total load was 2ohms the amp was doing about 3000rms between the pair at 2Ohms and when i wired only the 1 sub to the amp at 4ohms with the gain still set the same i can bottom out the sub or anything but when it was at 2ohm with the other sub added aswell it was still bottoming out so it could not of been more power to one sub over the other either way its not gettin mopre then 1500rms per sub but the 4ohm still sounded way better but not as loud its hard to explain what im saying i think i would need sombody who has been in comps for SQ setups really to get my answer figured out, ill give it a try somtime if i ever get a extra set of subs to screw around with... but my theory still sounds pretty logical to me as each speaker would see its own load and the amp would see the total load. probally better to explain this in person

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3499
subs dont see loads. if you had an amp that put out the same power good and clean and efficiently from .1-500 ohms. it would sound the same no matter how you wired up subs.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 2798
the only way a amp can affect sq is with the THD and damping factor levels. as ohms increase the thd on amps useally decrease, like my 12.1 is .05thd@4ohms but .5thd@1ohm, the damping factor has a slight affect on sq also, but these are barely noticeable.

Gold Member

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1037
but does the sub have better control over the power at a higher resistance? What i dont get is how i could bottom my sub out with 1500rms @2ohm but not at 1500rms@4ohm, it just doesnt make much sense to me unless the sub for sure does have alot better control of the sub, the sub also has a little better bass response at 4ohm as apposed to 2ohm. ELECTRONICS

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3501
the sub doesnt even know whats going on. the amp does however. if there is a problem its the amp, not the sub. maybe when you had 2 subs hooked up you had been clipping a little at full volume but you arent now.

Gold Member

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1038
well from thinking back on whats been said, can i just be since i am using earthquake (notorously known for its HIGH THD) its rated at like .5or .05THD@2ohm somthing like that, im guessing maybe the little bit of distorted signal may have been gave it the extra kick? at 4ohm the notes are sharper but not as strong sounding as the 2ohm.. if i had a amp clamp id be able to tell if i truly am getting any clipping at all, but from what i have\tested so far i dont think i am clipping or anything sounds clean except for the sharpness of the notes, the amp can push 3K all day and not even get hot, my old earthquake same model but with mods so it can be linked... the phd10000d ..that thing got hot enough to cook an egg on and that was with half the power this ones putting out.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 2807
well from what i hear thd has to be over 10% before its audiable, but im not an expert on amps so.

Gold Member

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1060
5000 Watts RMS Maximum Power
3000 Watts RMS x 1 into 2 ohm
Mono block - single channel amplifier
Damping Factor >800
0.016 THD
Built-in variable 24dB/oct low pass-filter
All time low-pass operation
Two independent low level RCA inputs
4-gauge power connection
8-gauge speaker connection
2-1/2" x 10-1/2" x 15"

and people say its high THD..only good for SPL why even give a sh!t when u cant tell, it can probally be used in a SQ setup just as easy?

Bronze Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 48
Nothing personal, but for the sake of clarificateion, Id love to help. I could'nt help but to notice your "maybe its easier said this way..." , and it is very contradictory, and dont make sense. Perhaps typos. But the mystery remains to me in how you got a total of a 2 Ohm load from 2 dual 2ohm subs and then ran something into series with What ? The you state that you can bottom it out, but reads like it should be "cant bottom out or nothing". If you can clarify all that, I guarantee I can help clairfy any issues you are having very quickly.

Man I need a beer now

Gold Member

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1061
Well the fact of how it was ran at 2ohm i DID have 2 subs. the amp is rated at 3000rms@2 and 1500rms@4 so the one sub at 4ohm compared to the 2 subs at 2ohm. The 2subs at 2ohm would bottom out no problem... but its hard to bottom out the one sub at 4ohm.,i have to use test tones to do it now., music would bottom out the 2 subs@2ohm...wont bottom out just the one sub at 4ohm tho.. Does that help?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us