How to Wire 2 Dual 4 Ohm Subs to 1 ohm

Silver Member
Username: Afroopuff

Post Number: 358
Uhm, I know it can be done, but I forgot how it would work, can someone explain it to me please.

Also; what sort of wiring should I use between the sub and the amp if i am running 2 ascendant audio arsenals (10 inch) off of a Nine.1 amp

Silver Member
Username: Bump05

We Stay Fly, 18 SX USA

Post Number: 679
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?subs =2&impedance=DVC4x2
thats for 2 dvc 4 ohm subs...

and use 8 gauge speaker wire

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Alpine type S 6.5 inch...

Post Number: 2036
8 guage..... cant u get away with like ...16 guage..?

Silver Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 870
It depends on the power from the amp, 16awg is not reccomended, I dont even use 16 awg on my speakers in my car I use 12awg.....16awg is like the size of headphone wires......

http://www.partsconnexion.com/wire-cable/images/crystalwire.jpg

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1113
With 1200w @ 1 ohm there would be about 34A flowing in the wire. 16 ga would be awfully small for that amount of current.

10 would be ideal
I'd probably just run 12 since the amp will rarely, if ever actually produce 1200w, and if it does it will only be for fractions of a second at a time.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1114
16 ga is actually pretty good sized speaker wire. At 4 ohms it's good for 300w+ at 10'.

Dropping impedance increases current out of the amp. That's where the need for big speaker wire comes in.

Headphone wire is probably 24ga at most.
They could use something MUCH smaller, but it would be almost impossible to work with.
16 ohm headphones with a 1.5v power supply doesn't equate to a whole lot of power - as in ~1/5w.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us