??serious question??

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

FI SSD, OK U.S.A

Post Number: 542
ive been giving this some serious thought, my box in my truck is waay too small for two 12' ssd's. and its as big as it can go.:-(. do yall think if i took one out and sealed the other hole, and kept 1000 watts to it, it would stil be as loud as the two, cause it owuld have waay more air??

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Nj US

Post Number: 2445
I would say no. Ported boxes are generally louder than sealed because of its' moving air mass. I would think more air in a sealed box would tend to sound boomy. Imo.

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Alpine type S 6.5 inch...

Post Number: 2018
if u have two 12 ssds sealed, with the right volume, and right amp, it will get loud enough for you for everyday listening for sure.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1325
I m not sure that Chase said that he currently has a ported box.

Now, Paul, a larger sealed box will not make a speakers FO sound boomy. As a matter of fact, a sealed box will reach its ceiling and beyond that point it will just not reduce the F3, but it will not start to sound boomy. It will just reduce volume.

Chase,

To answer your question, consider this;

Taking one of the woofers out will not necessarily make your box the right volume the sub will need to reach optimum output, and/or flat response, and/or F3. One thing is for sure, it will definetly sound different. Thats all. It may be for better or for worse.

Best advise is to have your sub specs and design a box using a professional box building program, according to the subs capabilities, and design it to fit in the volume you have. You may be in luck and find that indeed the box volume you currently have is good, but chances are that it may not, so dont try and cut corners cuz you may end up regreting.

There are plenty people in here that can help you design a custom box, probably even as close to the volume you have right now. You may even contact FI. I m sure they can definetly give you the best advice.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Nj US

Post Number: 2447
Yeah, I guess I assumed he had a sealed box. Simply removing one of the subs changes the box's tuning the remaining sub sees. Without knowing the box and sub's specs, who knows if it will sound better or worse.

D@mn Mix, where have you been all my life??

Silver Member

FI SSD, OK U.S.A

Post Number: 545
ok ill see if i can get specs from fi

Silver Member

FI SSD, OK U.S.A

Post Number: 546
sorry, i do have a sealed box, my bad
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums