Help, AMP KEEPS FRYING with Kicker 15L5

Username: Str8ball803

Post Number: 1
I have 2 15in kicker solo baric L5s dual 4 ohms and they were powered by a bx1500d HIFONICS and working good for a while. The problem I'm having is when I switched amps (due to the previous amp frying) to a HIFONICS BRUTUS BX1605D MONO BLOCK CLASS D1600W the amp keep frying, this problem happened 6 TIMES. When I mean frying, I'm talking about when the RCAs and Speakers are hooked up and the truck is turned on, the amp smokes and fire is seen in the inside, so I shut it off. This problem is becoming very annoying and expensive. I had it professionally looked at by Best buy and high end stereo installation shops, and they keep telling me all of my equipment has been tested and everything is good to go as far as my set up goes and I believe them but when I get a new amp I'm scared to have it put on my system because it keeps burning up. I buy a new replacement every time this happens and it has happened about six times and I don't want it to happen again. The problem can't be that all of the amps were bad! I'm thinking about switching to a new brand of amp but don't know what to go with or if this is even my problem. I just need some guidance and if anyone has experienced the same problem pls help!!!

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3158
maybe they were all wired to the wrong ohm load causing them to overheat and fry. or maybe u didnt have a fuse in there and just running a straight wire therefore running to much current blowing all the fuses in the amp. mhh what else, bad hu could cause it maybe a bad signal or something

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 1764
ive burned out two amps before.. the problem was where it was mounted. one of the mounting screws had gone through a wire and made the amp ground out. is it mounting to a piece of wood.. then to the surface?

does it do this right when you turn it on or does it take a while?

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

TREO, USA

Post Number: 2458
maybe u should buy a new amp?

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Post Number: 2813
Or try some new subs?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5737
You need to check the install using DMM.
Measure all voltage sources, then check the gain/level on the amp so that it matches the HU.
A better quality amp will have overload protection. I know all amps say that on paper, but you'll find only a handful can actually protect without burning out.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 1769
on the note of buying a better amp.. I have one for sale if interested I'll post more info on it :-)

Gold Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 1203
hey, quit hijackin, get yer own thread!

Post Number: 2
Hey [Kéviñ_Previé]
The amp is mounted to my box(wood) it does this right when the vehicle is turned on.

Post Number: 3
I appreciate all of the help! I'm going to take this forum to the installation shop who is going to install the amp for me. I did replace the 02' model solo barics 15L5 with the 05' models but the same problem occurs, I've had the subs tested and from the voltage meter they read good. I think I need to try a new brand of amp also, but I don't know of a known good amp to push these 15L5's. Any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Rvlacos

DD 3512 United States

Post Number: 901
ur gunna take the entire forum there? what time are we meeting up? lol.

amps- sundown, ie, crossfire, whats ur budget?

Post Number: 4
lol, I want to stay below $500, as you can see from me going with Hifonics previously I'm not big on name brand, just need a good amp.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5741
Read up on amp section. There's a guy selling JL/1000 for $300. Very cheap for a great amp.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 2582
might be selling my kx1200.1 make me an offer.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3185
mhh buy my autotek 2000.1 400

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Post Number: 2846
I would take the amp off the box.

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 514
You could leave the amp on the box, if mounted with a rubber mat of some sort in between.

Those amps are well known for dying for little or no reason. On OR off.

Post Number: 5
Renegadesrun
Logan
Why would you take the amp off the box? What effects do that have on the amp being mounted to a wooden box?

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 516
It can rattle items loose on the board of the amp. You can still mount it there, you just need to "dampen" it with a rubber mat of some sort. It will absorb a good deal of the vibration.

Many amp repairmen will say a good deal of the amps they fixed, were attached to the box.

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 146
yyyyy charlie i want that autotek
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us