My wall project

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7377
k guys. ima build a wall for my car starting next week. i need a few pointers so if anyone have any suggestions let me know.

couple of questions for you guys.

i don't want to cut the headliner so the edge of the wall is going to be about half an inch from the ceiling of the car. what should i use to fill the gap that won't damage the headliner?

should the face of the box be a little slanted or should it be straight?

10cu ft, 9 cuft, 8 cuft?

120sq inch of slot port or 6 4 inch aeroports?

like i said any input is appreciated. thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3115
mhhh chad sounds sweet u really want this 150 lol. but umm i would do a straight wall not slanted. go as big as u can so 10 cuft tune kinda high.and to fill in there i dont know cause i dont want to wreck ur car on you but anyways please make sure u brace the very good use some threaded rod if u can on the inside and u might want to think about resin. i would do the 120 sq inch port i think for walls the slot ports are better

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 3882
first, build a frame inside the car w/ 2x4's and then put MDF on the inside of the the frame. Use at least 2 layers of MDF. 3 for the baffle.

second, dont be afraid of port area!

third, subs on passenger side...as close to the passengerside wall as you can get them, stack them staggard if you have to.

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7379
some good points there charlie. thanks.

which style should i do? pic is not to scale.

Upload

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7380
thanks canaan. now which way out of the four pics should i do?

Gold Member
Username: B101

DD, RE, FI, TREO, KICKERUSA

Post Number: 4006
B!!!

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7382
yeah i was thinking the same thing B but i have a problem. i can only do 30 inches max height. my subs are 15s. wouldn't it be a bit crowded?

will it sound good for daily also if i tune low? like 36hz?

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3120
as marshall said stagger them if u have to so put one in the lower left corner and then put the top one a little to the right if u cant stack them straight.

yea it should still sound good but if ur going for a wall i would say sacrifice the sq and tune a little higher like 40

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7383
well plenty of wall setup tuned low that sounds good charlie. i doubt i will tune that high cause i want to maintain some sq. i don't want a straight spl car.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3883
do option B.

use masking tape and expanding foam to fill the gaps around the box.

'daily' and 'wall' really dont go togther, but 40hz would be ok.

when you wall the car, it is prolly going to want to peak at a much higher note than it would want to w/ a box in the trunk. you may want to build the port so you can block part of it off and retune lower for daily driving

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3123
ya i know what u mean chad i just figured u were going all out for spl so just trying to help chad but ya 36 would still sound great but chad when u make it please take pics along the way

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7384
lol charlie you know me. i like to take pics of stuff.

so option B with a 10 cuft box. tune to 40hz with 160 sq inches of port. does that sound right?

also marshall, is 2-3 layers of mdf really necessary. can't i just brace it well and just do 2 layers for the front baffle? i don't want it to weigh it down.

150 seems like its right around the corner. lol.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1324
"i don't want to cut the headliner so the edge of the wall is going to be about half an inch from the ceiling of the car. what should i use to fill the gap that won't damage the headliner? "

There is a black foam pipe insulation that would work well. Its cheap, comes in 6' lengths, and has a slit in it. Open the slit and slide it over the MDF and then snug to ceiling. As far as the other stuff, your own your own.

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7385
thanks marc. that would work perfect. i am gonna cover the face of the box with black vinyl so i will cut it enough to cover the black foam stuff too.

you think can use that to cover the gap in the side of the box which is like 4-5 inches?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1326
this is just for the idea on the black foam.

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/imageDetails?invocationType=imageDetails&query=foam +pipe+insulation&img=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.perfectwave.com%2Fimages%2Fpacking01.jpg&s ite=&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.perfectwave.com%2Fpacking_tips.html&width=120&height= 76&thumbUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fimages-partners.google.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AHmhRjgq 6i9XNiM%3Awww.perfectwave.com%2Fimages%2Fpacking01.jpg&b=image%3Fquery%3Dfoam%2B pipe%2Binsulation%26page%3D3%26userid%3D-396977058899277683%26invocationType%3Di mageTab%26clickstreamid%3D3323805516133912222

For the sides, get some of those Swimming noodles. they are kinda thick. You could electrical tape up 3-4 of em in a bundle and stuff em in and cover with vinyl.

http://www.pooltoy.com/noodchairand.html

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7386
thanks marc. those stuff will work out perfectly.

i just don't want it to be permanent. i want to be able to take it out later.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1328
yea, It will make a nice neat install. That expanding foam stuff looks like poo poo. You see some installs and its all over the place some one puked over it all and never cleaned it up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3884
The 2-3 layers of MDF was for SPL...kinda going all out. I see walls w/ 5-8 layers of MDF for baffles all the time.

just brace the hell out of it and you should be ok.

160sq inches tuned to 40hz should be ok for a daily/spl wall.

10cuft net and you could make the port 20"x8" and ~16" deep.

Maybe even do the wall w/ interchangable ports...now THAT would be shweet.

You vehicle will prolly try to peak at 55hz+ w/ a wall though...if you do interchangable ports, you would be able to play w/ the tuning very easily.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2043
look on some other fourms too they have wall building stickys. although it seems like cannan and B got you coverd

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

Davenport, IA US

Post Number: 1805
do an interchangealbe like me! then you can run 33 - 36 daily and 42 - 45 for spl.

its alot of calculating, but i bet canaan can help you (lol marshall haha givin u more work) or winisd works easy to design ports.

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7387
"10cuft net and you could make the port 20"x8" and ~16" deep. "

if that is the case then the port wouldn't have to bend cause the depth is around 38 inches. i can just make a plug for the port so it would tune lower for daily.

i can't wait til i get started. actually i can't wait til it gets done. it will be one loud azz mofo. lol. lots of progress pics for you guys.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 1750
if you want to get your note with a wall.. build the wall 50inches away from where the mic will be and use the 1/4wave formula.. only works if the wall is 50 inches away... but yeah your sacrificing daily with a wall so your best bet is to tune where you will peak and just build some port plugs so you can plug for daily or street beat

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7393
at the comp they ran a sweep and my car peaks out a 51hz.

should i just port the wall at 46hz for a insane burp? lol. naw i still want nice sound and i think i can achieve that with a lower tuned wall.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

SubBassMidBass

Post Number: 9103
sweet....hurry up and get started@@!!!!@@!#$@!%^#!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3885
i vote huge interchangable ports :-)

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7395
okay this is how it looks inside my car. as you can see the box is in the middle of the car and doesn't really have anything to resonate off of. this is why i want to build a wall. to minimize the air space and also i want the subs to be at the edge of the listening cabin. i hope i am making sense here. my car is just damn too hard to get loud.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 9992
nice ride ^^ - lol

yep im liking that removable port idea too .....

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3130
interchangeble rem do it right the first time so do it the best way first dont build one then want something else so do this and make it amazing u will be so happy after i promise or i offer a money back guarantee lol

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7408
ok ok ok. interchangable it is. i will dedicate my wall to you charlie. lol.

i will make 4 ports consisting of 32hz, 36hz, 40hz, and 44hz. i might make a 50hz port also cause my car peaks at 51hz right now and with the wall it will peak higher.

ima go tint my windows this week so i can get start on it next week.

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7410
btw guys if i do a wall i would have to compete with this guy.

Upload
Upload

that little car is hitting 154+ db with only 1 18 inch sub (i don't know what sub) and 1 amp in a wall. he puts a piece of paper in the port and the pressure from the port tears up to pieces.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3888
OMG....that is Quad's car! (Leonard)

he has been known to start alot of sh1t on the dbDrag and Usaci forums.

he always talks sh1t...i wish i had pick of the install he had a finals bout 2yrs ago, some of my friends told me bout it. The called it the 'quad-wood' box...looked like it was built out of sh1t.

BTW...you can get 154's out of those BTLs and 2500d's if you really work at it. A friend of mine, Pat Day, used to do 161's w/ 2 MT15's and 8 crossfire 1000d's.

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7412
awesome man.

i didn't know he was famous. lol. one of the nicest guy you can meet in person though. very helpful.

whenever he gets in the lane, he takes out his seat and has a little box that holds his stereo from the outside.

i am gonna take my time with this one marshall. i want to get it right. i will post progress pics so you or anyone can give me some suggestions.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3463
do a 3 section port with ALOT of port area tuned to like 45-50hz. Then make it so that you can bolt panels over 2 of the sections to greatly lower tuning for daily driving. 5 minutes can take you form daily to SPL.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3156
yea i feel special all of a sudden chad lol good luck building it man hope it comes out awesome and gets the job done

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 794
Chad...don't do the wall.You can hit 150 without it :-( The box with his HU in it is called a Podium :-)

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7414
ok rob. you see the diagram of my car above. what kinda box can i do to increase spl? it can't go in the trunk cause it won't fit.

Silver Member
Username: Usask8er1

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 479
If you need pics i got a wall of 4 15"s i can send you the link if that will help.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

TREO, USA

Post Number: 2469
post it matt i want to see it

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

TREO, USA

Post Number: 2470
post it matt i want to see it

Gold Member

Post Number: 3894
Upload

2 MT15's
8 crossfire 1000d's
4 redtops

161.5dB on the TL in the kick.

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 797
I think I remember that car.It's the buick right?I think you were running US amps?I also think you had it for sale.....

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7417
awesome canaan. i love wall. wall is your best friend.

the thing about my car is the wall cannot go down that low. i can only have 31 inch height. i measured everything yesterday and i have it all planned.

gonna use 1 layer of mdf all around and 2 layer for the front baffle. gonna use 1"x1" wood for the coners and also make a H shaped brace for the sides and the back. then between the front baffle and the rear, i will use 2 x 4 s for brace. i will also stiffen the inside with resin.

this wall is going to cost me but when i read 149.9db playing the song "da blow" by liljon, it will be all worth it.

140-149.9 bass race class here i come. lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3896
have fun man!!!

if i can find another DD9500d motor this summer, i'm gonna do a semi-wall in my truck w/ 2 20.1 :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3897
this wall does 154's w/ 1 memphis m3mojo 15" and a 4000d (i'm 80% sure its a 4000d)

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Usask8er1

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 480
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2240405

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7422
i like that wall with the mojo. it looks clean. ima cover mine up with black vinyl so it matches my car seats.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

AQ HD3!!, CA United States

Post Number: 1144
will be one hell of a project ChadMister.

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7424
yeah berny. i will have fun with it.

come jan 27, 2007 it will be one insane day at the comp. i just hope i don't make a fool of myself and only hit around 140db. rofl.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

AQ HD3!!, CA United States

Post Number: 1145
you better not....*slapped! anyways resined the box more today, heading back to the garage in a hour to do another side. I'm broke biotch! :-(. Everyones eating up all my money, dad, sister, brother in law. dammit.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3166
chad just make sure its sealed very good

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7426
yea i will charlie.

canaan, i made a mistake about leonard's car. he has more than one sub in his car. i believe he has 3 subs with a single amp.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 10011
that port on that memphis install is HUGE ! - makes the sub look like a 10" ......

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7434
here is how my wall would look from the side.

Upload

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7435
if i was to keep the same box desing, i was thinking of putting a plexiglass like in the pic below.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: B101

DD, RE, FI, TREO, KICKERUSA

Post Number: 4016
should I wall a suv with something like this???

6 18s, in a wall in the cargo?? hmmm
Upload

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7437
yes. please.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3175
is that a port or a door lol

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7457
lol looks like you can crawl inside there and sleep. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3908
B,

I have seen quite a few SUVs walled behind the second row of seats. Not nearly as loud as walling them behind the B-pillar, but you usually peak at a much lower note.

I saw 4 soloX 18's on 16 kx1200.1's so 156's in the kick like that...the wall was not your typical wall though...whoever did it really didnt know what they were doing, they had separate chambers for each 18". The would have done ALOT better w/ 1 chamber.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 1808
heres the wall i was talking about chad.. this runs for burp/bass race but he has plugs for bass race..

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us