Check out da boxes

Silver Member
Username: Impala63rag

Post Number: 207
these are custom built to digital design specs. 2.5 cu. ft. after sub, 37.5" cu. port, 16" long port, 1.5" bezel, braced.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
It aint got nothin on terry6405's box, but I like 'em.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1174
Interesting bracing techniques.

I am worried that the bracings might act as other chambers and therefore add certain frequency peaks or dips. It may even affect your port tuning.

Bracing usually is intended to make the sides stronger so that the box does not flex. I usually knock on the edge of the box and listen to the sound that it makes. I then knock on the middle of the sides and listen to the sound. If the side knock sounds lower than the edge knock, I usually brace the sides. This means that the material is too thin and/or it will sound boxy. When I do brace the sides, it is usually laterral and it goes with the internal air flow of the box so that it will not create other noises and/or frequencies.

Another box building tip is to double up the front baffle because of the cutout. It usually is the weakest side and therefore needs extra support.

Let us know what it sounds like.

Looks like a beautiful construction masterpiece. Great location for the port. :-)

Gold Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1175
Oh, and paint inside the port, black.

Silver Member

Post Number: 211
yeah the baffle is doubled up, 1.5". Upload

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Friday, Str8t to the Gentlemans club

Post Number: 2557
lookin good

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
I spoke with a dd tech about the bracing. Concerned about what ya said about them acting as seperate chambers and changing the frequency. He looked at this web page and said that they wouldn't cause a problem. That they would prevent a standing wave. And that it made for a rigid box.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Friday, Str8t to the Gentlemans club

Post Number: 2573
coool

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 9745
i agree with what mix is saying

couldnt some of that excessive bracing be reduced by simply using a thicker 1" mdf & just 1 X shaped brace in the middle ? ..........

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 9746
i admire the time/effort/work that went into that box though .........

Gold Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1177
I havent heard your box, so I thought I would just throw that out there. If it doesnt cause a problem, Kool.:-)

Looking at it reminded me about an empty bottle and someone blowing accross the top of it to create that whoooooooooh sound, thats all.

Good job !

Gold Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1181
bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us