Alt squeal

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 194
i just put in my new alt, everything goes smooth, other than a stripped bolt that wouldnt allow me to move a mounting bracket that was preventing me from putting the alt in.

heres my problem, i get everything in all good wired up, start my car and then i hear the dreaded squealing...

the alt belt is slightly loose (when pressed, it is obviously looser compared to the other drive belts (hardly any movement when pressed), and i have pushed it all the way over to its furthest point from the water pump pulley...Therefore i think it's as tight as it will go, yet the belt slips when i start, it goes away after start, but stilllll

anyone know what i can do? :[ i dont know what else to do rather than somehow 'make' a bracket that will allow the alt to be moved further...

:-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( : :-( :-( :-( :-(:-(:-(

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 3787
does the belt have small cracks on the underside?

replace the belt if it does.

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
no. the belt is new, i had all my belts replaced over the summer, they still have all the print on them and dont have any visual signs of wear...

the only thing i could possibly think of is maybe i stretched the belt ever so slightly when installing the new alt???

is there anything besides sliding the alt over that can tighten the belt... i dont want a smaller pulley...cuz then i wont have high idle amperage :-(

88 nissan pathfinder btw, cant find anything on how to tighten it other than the sliding bracket on the bottom mount for the alt..

Silver Member
Username: Grebnereon

Post Number: 468
if you go to autozone or somewhere, have them look up the belt that your car would normally call for, then ask if they have one thats like .5 inches shorter. they make them all different sizes, and theres a pretty good chance they got what you need. also if you try a belt and it doesnt work, just keep the reciept and you can take it back. i had to do this for my car, i probly bought 5 belts, took them out into the parking lot and tried them until i finally got the right one. but it is possible

Silver Member
Username: Grebnereon

Post Number: 470
why wont this bump when when i post??

Silver Member

Post Number: 197
the alt belt is the one closest to the block, therefore its a total pain in the A S S.... it will require removing all the belts to change the alt one, BLAH NISSAN SUCKS

but yea, klez thats a good idea, i was thinken of going there to get a smaller one, but i wasnt sure how much smaller

Silver Member

Post Number: 200
i meant to say 'i dont want a larger pulley' on a post earlier...but anyways

im goin to autozone either today or tomorow and i will see if i can get a tighter belt...its just gunna be so annoying taking off all the belts to replace one and not knowing if its even the right size... :-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1811
if you got a smaller pulley then that is your problem as to why the belt wont fit.

just curios where did you get your alt. from

Silver Member

Post Number: 204
iraggi
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us