Amp Question

Username: Chaset

Post Number: 1
I use a MTX TC8001 Class D Mono 2400Watt max Amp and it overheats about every 30mins. So i called MTX and they trouble shot me for about 2 hours after that they said that my car battery is not big enough because its like a 60$ battery so they gave me a link to the battery i would need for my amp which is like 300$. They say that when my lights dim everytime my bass hits it is because it does not have enough power... This IS true i no but would that cause the overheating?

Silver Member
Username: Naledge503

Working on a secret pr..., Oregon USA

Post Number: 521
Never go by MAX power ratings. That amp puts out 800rms at 2 ohms.

What is the impedance of your subs? 2 ohm or 4ohm?

and how high do you have your gain set?

Post Number: 2
Well ty for helping me ok... well i use Rockford Fosgate Puch 3 and i have 2 of them 12" and they are 2Ohm the gain is about 50% bass is like 50% as well

Silver Member

Post Number: 522
To answer your question. Yes, It would cause overheating cause your amp is trying to pull current that your battery cannot provide. So your amp is working harder than its supposed to. This causes clipping which sends a dirty signal and can blow your amp or subs.
Your subs are rated at 500rms a piece so. you really need a better battery. and a bigger amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 523
here is a couple good places to read about clipping and car charging systems. They are very helpful and useful.

bcae1.com

wickedcases.com

Post Number: 3
well ty for that info man i appreciate it.. that sux tho that amps about 500$ lol hmmm yea i am givin them about 400watts each so im underpowering them but they still shake my car lol i am getting a Kinetic Battery HC800 Mtx said that should fix my problem

Post Number: 4
Do u think that is what is causing my amp to overheat or is there anything else i can try? because i dont wana spend like 300$ if i dont have to lol

Post Number: 6
O and one more question my amp is about $500 or $600 and it only gives 800rms why do other amps give more rms but cost alot less?

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3353
chase, what HU do you have cuz the gain at 50% can be high and that can cause clipping

I do not recommend using the bass boost, it sounds peaky and it tends to blow subs. If you want to use it then find a way to control it with the gain (adjusting it again) in order to protect your subs.

Post Number: 7
ok thank you i use a Alpine CD Deck it was about 200$

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 3181
are your sure those are dual 2 ohm models, if not then your ohm load is prob to low, that amp is only stable to 2 ohm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us