Underseat subwoofer-ported or sealed

Username: Doccbst

Post Number: 1
Design considerations for underseat subwoofer 10"x10"x7" .462 cubic ft.(outside diameter -I would prefer a ported/vented enclosure of course.I may be able to stretch out .66 cu ft-- But can or should this be done-?-will a sealed box perform and give adequate bass-I want hidden stealth type setup-All of the powered subs Ive found for this purpose seem a little underpowered (and expensive) in reviews,Any input appretiated-I'm not after any competion grade system--obviously from component cost-- just nice budget sound.Very nice I hope.

Subwoofer:Pyramid PW876S 8" Square Subwoofer-specs(all I could find)
* Special Patten Paper Black Square Cone
* Wide Heavy Foam Surround
* Rigid Powder Coated Stamped Square Basket
* Bumped & Vented Pole Piece
* Rubber Magnet Boot
* 65 oz. Magnet
* 1.5'' 2-Layer Kapton Voice Coil
* 250W RMS/500W Peak
* SPL (1W/1M): 87.4dB
* 4 Ohm Impedance
* Overall Diameter: 8.62''
* Mounting Depth: 4.13''
* FS 55.3HZ
* Voice Coil 1.5 KSV
* VAS .55 Cu/Ft

Power Amplifier:Soundstorm F4100 Force Series 4-Channel Amplifiers

Tri-mode operation Remote subwoofer level control High-pass crossover Variable input level control Line & speaker level input

Manufacturer Sound Storm Laboratories
Manufacturer Part Number F4100
Dimensions 2" Height x 9" Width x 6.5" Depth
Channel(s) 4 Channel(s)
Product Name 4-Channel Car Amplifier
Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) 102dB
Additional Information Bass boost variable: +18 dBChannel separation: 90 dBDamping factor: 125+
Output Power 4 x 100W RMS (9Hz to 50kHz) @ 2Ohm 0.01% THD
4 x 50W RMS (9Hz to 50kHz) @ 4Ohm 0.01% THD
Product Name 4-Channel Car Amplifier
Filtering 40Hz to 150Hz - Low Pass Filter

The Head unit Dual XDM-6820(200W peak 4x18 RMS) will power(front -kickpanel)2 Clarion 6.5" 2-way SRR1616 Box says 30HZ to 22,000hZ 180w(peak) 40 RMS/per channel.

The power amp will be powering the sub bridged on 3-4 channel and (door)two Panasonic 6.5" CJA1623U (160W peak)35Hz-22,000 HZ 2-way speakers on channel 1-2-thru speaker level input and maybe 2 6"x9"so I can adjust volume from head Unit ?is that correct?

The system sounds pretty good (fair) now-all the high freq I can stand,adequate mids and since the bass lacked-I'm using a $40-ebay-Rampage powered tube 8"sub (200w) it's ok --just too big to fit under seat--its in the back floorboard--I was going to disassemble for project but decided the extra square sub $30.00 and amp $30.00 were minimal investment for results. Any Ideas-I've also ordered 2 Blaupunkt PCxb693 6"x9" 3-way car speakers-that will fit in side panels in rear seat or cargo area--(I hope) that had pretty good reviews.Im just trying to upgrade factory audio-***2 - 5 1/4th and FM radio ***
any input appretiated- try not to bash me too hard-I'm new to car audio DIY-doccbst

Silver Member
Username: Kenwa

Post Number: 541
Dont but that sub or amp, and with that minimal amount of space going with a vented box would be pointless.

Silver Member
Username: Kenwa

Post Number: 542
buy**

Post Number: 2
Thanks for interest Kenny--but components are purchased after considerable research into performance vs cost--ex. Kicker at 8" $140.00
I did take an unexpected hit with freq. Fs at 55 Hz-so I am even more interested in porting the box as that will lower frequency response "some"
by the way the Kicker 8" says ported box at .66 cu ft-so why couldnt this one also port at that size I guess I will build sealed and listen to it then maybe try a 2" port 5.5" long-as per box design software on 12V.com--this what I want but with square sub--supposedly an 8" sq sub performs as a 10" round--what I've read anyway-thanksUpload

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

\red {TREO}, \orange {USA} \3 {soon to ...

Post Number: 2194
sry if i come off as offensivee but how much research have u done???
becauuse it seems all those products were bought at wal mart :\
BTW thts not a good thing

Gold Member

Post Number: 2195
DIDNT BUMP

Silver Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 765
yea man i dont think u want a pyramid sub. just a guess, but do a lil more research.

Post Number: 3
No offense taken--I'm just cheap on my old 84 Isuzu Trooper:amp--Amazon $30.00 cheapest 4 channel tri-mode bridgeable I could find -50 RMS/per channel @ 4 ohms
Sub-one of few square subs available $30.00-Teptronics
Clarion 6.5--local sound shop--$50.00
Panasonics--sound as good as clarion-$28.00--Frys=Outpost
Dual Cd/with I-pod mp3-WMA--$98.00 Buy.com
Yea--I researched and Froogled-
wal-marks only has the 10" Sony X-plod--Hate Sony anyway & needed 8"--thanks for input-

Gold Member

Post Number: 2196
hahahah
wow bro not only did u do researched but u were
researchin the worst products out thier
and u no wut is ironic??
u hate sony and every thing else ur buyin is either worse or ON PAR with sony

honestly if i were u i would deffinatly not even attempt to WASTE my money on tht garbage
ALSO u get wut u pay for
and by the looks of it ur stock system tht comes in the car will be louder

Post Number: 4
Just a thought--but isn,t this a help forum--no one has even offered any help -just destructive criticism--maybe rap does cause anger issues-(I like some of it),and hip-hop,and rock,and even a little jazz,but-I did say "budget" and also stated cheap--yes I could spend thousands but I spent that on a 42" plasma--and yes fault,can be found with that also, and LCD, and rear projection also--but I like the plasma best--and as far as my anger-or dissapointment--it's OK guys--it's all good--I'll figure it out myself--unless someone can give me better options--like a decent under $100 8" subwoofer thats capable of 20-120 HZ-I havent found one-I'll buy it --and give you the Pyramid(good for a powerful magnet at least--65 ozs)and personally to "driving reckless"--I built my Home Theatre system for $5,000--and insurance appraisal for replacement "market value" is $20,000---yes,you get what you pay for,and "work for" and yes, I went through a lot of forum bashing and --oh,you shoulda bought this-- putting it together also.no harm no foul--my 2 cents-case closed-see new post-maybe help me out-thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 2211
well lets see were should i start
oh yea
man ur seriously cool u might spend 5k on a home theather system but tht doesnt mean jack
i can think of 2 8" woofers tht are ten times better
http://ascendantaudio.com/assassin8specs.html
50 bucks a piece
u didnt research tht did u buddy nah didnt think so
also try surfing forums for stuff for sale
buying used stuff still as good as new wen ur only
wiling to spend nuting on an amp
and tht pyramid
LAUGHS it cant do nething it says its crap
u say were not helping u but dont u think tht
help is tryin to prevent u from buyin SH1T
try listening and stop tryin to think ur right
thiers better options for the money
ur jusst being hardheaded :\

Gold Member

Post Number: 2212
http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-XENON-X400-1-400W-MONOBLOCK-AMPLIFIER-NEW_W0QQi temZ140049171562QQihZ004QQcategoryZ18797QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and this amp for 110 will push them fine
look 200 bucks for a very good system
wut a lil RESEARCH will do huh

bcae1.com

^^^read this
also search this forum for the good the bad the ugly list and ull see wut to buy and wut not to buy

Post Number: 6
Thanks for interest driving-I am here to learn-I do value others opinions-its not about the money its about the best bang for the buck-I found these CPT 8" & they claim 10hz-400Hz $79.00-is that real or hype?--looks pretty good to me--or is this junk also-may be just what I need for small enclosure as described:
http://www.mainstreet-audio.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code= EF-80&Category_Code=CDTSU
I also looked at The Polk/MOMO MM2084--40hz $79.00
and Rockford Fosgate PS18S4---40HZ 2 for $71.98 -Crutchfield-great reviews also on both
The assasin is only 46.5 hz fs
Znom 4 ohms BL 12.3 n/a Cutout diam. 7 1/4
Re 3.5 ohms Sd 187 cm2 Outer diam. 8 1/2
Fs 46.5 Hz Mms 80 g Mounting depth 5 1/8
Vas 7.3 L Xmax 15.5 mm Weight 13 pounds
Qms 2.72 Spl 83.2 dB 1W/1M Voice Coil diam. 2 inch aluminum
Qes .54 Rec. Power 150 W Voice coil Single 4 ohm
Qts .45 Rms 350W Cone Paper pulp
Le 3 mH Price $50.00

Gold Member

Post Number: 2215
i my self have CDT speakers like the one in the like
the 6.5" EF series
they sound good
so yes i would reccomend them
but trust me the assasin is the best choice
and stay away from Rockford subs
i had a p212s4 and they sucked
also look at Tangband

honestly id rate it like this
1. assasin
2. CDT EF series
3. Dayton
4. Tangband

also just because it says 46hz tht doesnt mean it wont play below tht throw it in a sealed box
and it will play a very large variety of Hz
its an SQ woofer (the assasin)

ull like it and u cannot here 10-20hz all u can do is feel it so idk why in the world u want a woofer to play at those frequencies

Post Number: 7
Now we're getting somewhere-no I didnt catch the assasin was square-my bad-but you would still pick it over- TB or Dayton--guess so-what you listed--I posted here about the Tang Band and Dayton:going to look again--at assasin
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/288660.html
Tang Band:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?AID=1457539&PID=440939&Partnumber=26 4-854
Dayton Quatro:
http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-440939-1457539?url=http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/p showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-545

Gold Member

Post Number: 2216
yes i saw ur posts thts y i brought them up on this thread
im telling u ur not gunna regret the assasin im set on tht
the CDTS,TB,Dayton are all ALTERNATIVES
but thier is no need not to buy the assasin
and with the amp i should do nicel
ALSO wen i sed SQ woofer i mean SOUND QUALITY subwoofer..meaning it is built to be pleasing to the ear tight clean bass tht can get loud if u want it to in the right box...
it is the closest ur gunna come to a good sub/amp combo
i say tht with 100% guarentee

Post Number: 8
Bookmarked--I've got re-measure my box area--I'm building the box this weekend--the assassin may be to big for downfire as planned 5 1/8 depth I've only got 7" to play with-so may have to resort to the TB or Dayton--maybe just rearfire to back seat--darn I wanted downfire--so little space to play with.If I use low cut filter at 80 or 100Hz may not matter what direction sub faces--I think? confused again-but I love a challenge-cheers ! !
Oh yeah, by the way only place I could find the assassin was ascendant audio--no wonder I missed it in my research--ha ha --just kidding--I did have to be pointed there-thanks

Silver Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 377
Not to be douche but, since when did the - become a period? It makes reading your post hard...to me atleast.

That phoenix gold amp and assasin will be so much better than that pyramid junk.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us