Custom enclosure

Bronze Member
Username: Drwang

Santa cruz, Ca

Post Number: 36
Hey guys,
I was wondering what the range of price goes for when asking a box builder to make a 2 cuft tuned to 33Hz and 30-40 sq in of port area?
I live in santa cruz california and a guy that used to work in a car audio shop does work at his own garage now. He's asking for $200 for that ported box wrapped in vinyl, or $250 for a sealed enclosure that will fit in the tire well. Are these prices right?

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 3127
pm me with the car and sub your going to use and the color of vinyl you want.I will get you a price shipped to your door.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 8195
at a shop ....$150+

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 8196
so yeah, not too far off. shops make a TON of money on boxes.:-)

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 9763
^^^YEP...to much

Bronze Member
Username: Mschwitz

Milwaukee, Wi

Post Number: 12
$200 for a ported box wrapped in vinyl...that's a steal. I would charge around $300+ vinyl isn't cheap and it's a pain to work with. And $250 for a sealed box in the tire well...is that with a fiberglass bottom? Again very good deal.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4006
thats not a good deal... 300 + wrapped in vinyl for 2 cu ft box is a horrible price. same with 250 for a sealed box

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 3132
agreed,, your paying for a service and knowledge. And depending on what is entailed in the box and materials(like vinyl)

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4007
yep, and vinyl isnt THAT expensive like you were actig like mike. vinyl around here goes for 8 bucks a yards x 54 inchs wide. which would be enough for one 2 cu ft box

Bronze Member

Santa cruz, Ca

Post Number: 38
The $250 for the enclosure would be a sealed fiberglass enclosure in the tire well, but using the wood on the top surface which will make it look very stock.

Which would you guys say is the better deal? This is going to be for my BTL 12" which just arrived today! It's heavy and damn sexy btw. It's only a standard but I'm using it as a daily street beater and will only turn it up when I feel like showing off, otherwise pretty low key. I'm most likely going with the ported box, but the idea of a sealed enclosure in the tire well will leave me with the original trunk space. What do you guys think?

Silver Member
Username: Kravenblood

Ohio

Post Number: 131
why not ported in the tire well? depending on car at least 1.5 cubes in ther rest can build outside of tire well

Bronze Member

Santa cruz, Ca

Post Number: 39
The tire well enclosure would be made of fiberglass, it would be really difficult to port. I can't really imagine how that would work because the bottom of the tire well isn't completely flat, there are many curves and such.

Silver Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 734
aeroports comin out the top of the tire well maybe? All you'd hav to do is get a smaller MDF ring kinda like u would use for the subs, and use it to mount the port on...

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4027
port it. i say just make your own. you dont need a fiberglass enclosure besides just looks.

Bronze Member

Santa cruz, Ca

Post Number: 40
I don't have to tools to make my own, nor the expertise. I would if I could because I know MDF and glue supplies probably only go up to $45. It's the experience that I don't have.

Silver Member
Username: Bernymac

AQ HD3!!, CA United States

Post Number: 804
Chad has two 15" btls. He shut off the ports in his prefab box to see how the btls would react, and he said they sounded horrible. Stay with a ported box man. And one other thing. I would rather spend $45 bucks than 200+ and learn how to build my own box. One other thing 200/45 = 4 TRIES! So its like saying you can make 4 boxes, your paying 1/4 of the price that guy is charging and you get experience. And honestly, I built my own subwoofer box w/o any experience, ask anyone in here if they have seen pictures of my box, I did pretty well for my first time and it is a huge BOX! Spend the 45 and do it yourself. Have fun and take your time.

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 8233
fiberglass work is very expensive....

but to make a simple ported enclosure, they are chargin you for their brain power to think it up. lol

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4032
you dont need anyt tools either, home depot can cut the wood for you..

so all you need to know is how to pre-drill a hole, and screw the screw in. its very simple

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1357
hey, mike from milwaukee do u have a cousin name joe kosmatka?

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1358
or an uncle doug?

Bronze Member

Santa cruz, Ca

Post Number: 41
I emailed the builder and he said can port the fiberglass enclosure but since it is in the tire well, there will need to be some sort of cover for the port otherwise stuff will drop through the port in to the enclosure. It would be $100 in materials alone for the ported fiberglass in tire well install. $250 for just the fiberglass enclosure exclusing grills or amp wiring.

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1359
Mike!!!!

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, Wi

Post Number: 13
Not that I know of, but I know there are a lot of Schwitz's in the Monroe area of WI. Why do you ask? Sorry it took so long to respond, don't check email everyday, and don't get off the Usaci forum or out of the garage much with finals two weeks away.

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 8245
cover for the port = port noise,

just blast it one time and anything in there(dust at the most) will come flying out:-)

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1361
well one of my friends has a cousin named mike that lives in milwaukee that installs car audio and stuff so i was just wonderin...

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4039
just make ur own box. all you need to know how to do is to drill and put screws in...

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, Wi

Post Number: 14
I actually live in West Bend about a half hour or so out of Milwaukee. I work at Kartunes in South Milwaukee. Not sure if I'm your friends cousin, but if there is anything I can do for you let me know.

Silver Member
Username: Impala63rag

Post Number: 171
check out these custom boxes. I had them custom made to digital design specs at 2.5 ohm with a 16" port. they are braced tough and 1.5" thick bezel. 2 of them for $200.

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
oops, got ohm on the mind. tryin to work out this amp thing.

correction, 2.5' cu. ft.

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
his number is 1-262-654-2110, i highly recomend his work.

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
i'll have to take out the back seat and cut the braces to get the other one in the trunk though. It'll be worth it, and i dont plan to be drivin this car for long anywayz.

Bronze Member

Santa cruz, Ca

Post Number: 45
i dropped the car off and it'll be ready on tues night... i'll post some before and after pics when i get it back

Bronze Member

Santa cruz, Ca

Post Number: 46
oh yea, i'm getting it done for $250. It's a fiberglass ported box fit into the tire well of my mustang. it'll be 2 cubic ft and tuned to 33hz. i cant wait, it's going to be awesome
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us