Help with component system and subwoofers

Username: Kai2780

Post Number: 1
I am looking for some help choosing a good set of higher end components and 2 12" subwoofers to replace my current 6x8 speakers and my stolen audiobahn woofers. I have 2 MB Quart 6x8 reference and 2 audiobahn 6x8s currently. The audiobahn are a little punchier than the MB Quart but are not as clean as the MB Quart and do not reproduce the highs as well. What I am looking for in the component system is something that can play real loud and still produce a clean, smooth, and refined sound; a balance between spl and sq but if i had to choose then sound quality is more important. I like my mids amp but i will sell it if needed to get something suited to any suggested components.
My car is a 93' MX-6 LS coupe(fully pimped inside and out; audio is the last upgrade) with stock tweeters mounted on top of the dash and 6x8s in the doors and rear deck. I am taking out my kick panels and carrying a spare door I have to my body man to see if he can fabricate a housing for 5.25s or 6.5s in the kicks and see if he can modify the speaker holder or fabricate a new one to house a 6.5 or 7 inch speaker in the door. Size may be limited to due design of door panel. Based upon the suggestions received I will use either of these locations or both. I am also considering cutting my rear deck to house 2 subwoofers up to 8 inches in baffles as I will use the system without the woofers sometimes. I don't have an unlimited supply of money but, I will spend to get quality speakers.
I am working with a Pioneer DEH-P9600MP head unit, an Audiobahn A1504DP (150Wx4 @4ohms / 300Wx4 @2ohms), and an Audiobahn A2300HCT amp (2400Wx1 @1ohm mono, 1200Wx1 @2ohms mono, 900Wx2 @1ohm stereo, and 600Wx2 @2ohms stereo).The mids amp can also be bridged to run the 8 inch woofers while using 4 channels for the mids.

Should I use all three speaker locations and run a three-way component setup ore use one or both front locations for a two-way system ?I am a novice so any help is appreciated. Sorry for the long post but i tried to include as much info as possible.

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1303
If you are going to go all out, i'd go for a 3way setup.

Post Number: 4
I am considering the Rainbow CS 365 Profi Vanadium Kick component set but i was hoping to get some suggestions from the members. What I am not sure of is if I could use the kickpanel version. Does the tweeter, midrange, and woofer have to be mounted in the kick panel or can I Mount the woofer in the door and the midrange and tweeter in the kicks. I was also looking at the Dynaudio Esotec 342 or 362 systems.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 306
Yes, you can mount tweets and mids in the kicks and the woofers in the doors, I have seen a few of those set ups and with a bit of tuning they sound great.

Rainbow is too expensive for what you get.

Dynaudio is great, but if you liked the MB Quart highs, then Dynaudio highs are gonna be a bit too soft for you (but who knows)

Check out Morel at http://www.morelhifi.com/
Their Supremo set would sound more than great, you could bi-amp it with your 4ch amp using 1ch per driver. I am too lazy to check, but you HU might have a nice active x-over so you could do an active set up OR you could use Morel Elate passive x-overs in your set up (any Morel dealer would be able to advise you on that). Morel will sound more accurate than MB Quart and will be able to get very loud and very clean.

You could also look into getting DLS comps, Seas, CDT's, hmm, you could even try the new Zapco comps, or even better - you could by raw Scan Speak drivers and run an active set up. But anyhow, I would go with the Morel's, but again, that's just me:-)

Enjoy!

Post Number: 10
thanks for the suggestions Maris. I am looking into them. Since Rainbow is too expensive for what I got, what would be more suited to the Rainbow componens?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3880
i love rainbows, the sound is incredible

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 321
No Kai, I was saying that Rainbow are not good in price vs value relation. Rainbow does make high-end drivers, however, they are a bit costly. For that money you could get a better sounding set, say, Genesis Absolute series.
Value for money, you should look at Seas Lotus - very nice components and they have metal dome tweets as well so you should like the sound of them.

BTW, bassman, which set do you have and how much could the guy get it for?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
thanks, i understand now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
selling audiobahn mids amp and going with the dynaudio 242gts most likely. check out the amps section for a post on some help with choosing an amp (liking zapco) and best wiring options.

thanks for all your help and input guys.

Bronze Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 22
where are you getting the 242s from and for how much? i was about to order 240s off of woofersetc.com when i said 242s...i cant find em anywhere though

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
this should help you find someone in your area.

http://www.dynaudiousa.com/company/dlr.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us