One for the experts

Username: Briancole23

Post Number: 1
I recently installed in my 2001 pontiac bonneville two diamond audio D3 15's (that rms at 500 watts)with an MTX 942 amplifier(which at 2 ohms stereo puts out 940 watts). I put them in a sealed 3 cubic ft. box like diamond told me to and have them wired at two ohms stereo which would mean that my amp would be giving them somewhere between 400-600 watts when at 14.4 volts. I still have my factory door speakers in for now until I buy my second battery, and the installer said that he had to keep the gain down a bit in order for my factory speakers to keep up with my subs. I want to a local shop and a friend of mine had two MTX 9500 12's on a 7801 amplifier and it pounded! It made me want to leave my car and walk home. Honestly, i think it just sounds plain bad. I feel like it could be one or more of these options:

1. Once i install my E Design components and amp, I can turn my gain up higher and my subs will hit harder.

2. I can't fold down my back seat, and my 6x9's are still in the rear deck so the air that the subs is moving doesn't really have anyway to get to the cab.

3. I need better subs

4. I need a ported or vented box

5. I need a better amp

6. Once I take steps number 1 and 2 and install a kinetik 1800 battery, I should be fine.

I like SQ but I really love SPL. What do you guys think? honestly, I am strongly considering buying a whole new system, but it is so time consuming and expensive. Any advice would be so appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1346
set the gain on your amp correctly so the sub gets the power it needs. if its still not loud enough build a ported box

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 9422
ur subs r 50/50 sq/spl & ur comparing to subs twice rated power

remove 6x9s from rear so bass enters

try a dfiferent box positions

fiddle with ur HU settings

if all fails then try a proper ported box b4 replacing everything ....

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 391
proper meaning not an E-Bay pre-fab

Post Number: 3
ok cool. I am just worried because the installer said that he had it turned down, then he later said now it is turned up a bit... so I wasn't exactly sure how "up" he had it turned. I really hope by getting that second battery and removing my 6x9's it will hit a bit harder and be a bit louder. Do you think so?

Gold Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 1539
those diamonds don't get very loud. trade them back in if you can and get something else

Post Number: 4
oh and by the way, a proper ported box for those subs is like 6 cubic feet! thats a big box! and I wanted to try ported for higher spl. any thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 9428
go to diamond audio site & D/L the pdf file on rec box enclosures ........

Post Number: 5
I talked to the guy from tech support and he told me that they call for six cubic feet.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3558
try a box w/ 1 chamber....8cuft net tuned to 35hz. 90sq inches of port.

Post Number: 6
this is where my confusion on the box begins. If my box is 3 cubic feet now and it takes up half of my trunk, wouldnt a six or eight foot box be too big?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1692
Get a MONO amp or get your present amp off STEREO! Polo..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us