2 channel + Mono Amp in series?

Username: Jeromebaker

Post Number: 2
So my yota is wired up with 2 lightning audio 15's,
1500w peak, 500rms apeice, on a ma audio 401sx 1800 watt mono amp. Wired @ 1 ohm it puts out 1200 all day long.
I got this amp moving up from a rockford p8002
2 channel amp with some 10' p3's.

What I want to do is wire both amps and both pairs of subs. My thoughts are to take the rcas from the current(mono)amp and plug them into the input on the 2-channel,
then take another set of rcas and plug them into
the output on the 2 channel and into the mono.
Put the 2 channel on all pass the the mono on low,
and I'll be good to go.

Any reason this wouldn't work for me?
And do you guys think I'll get a better range of mids with the 2 channel on high pass, or will the low bass not drown out the mids in all pass mode?

Thx in advance for any advice.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 9535
so are you trying to run the subs on 1 amp and the mids on another??

or are u trying to put 1amp to 1sub and vica versa

Post Number: 3
Trying to run the 15's on the mono, and the 10's on both channels of the 2 channel.
I'm improperly referring to the 10's and the 2-channel as mids, just in terms of bass hitting.

Actual mids, I've got 2 6 1/2's and 2 6x9's with some tweeters, and the deck handles that just fine;
Hell, I'm running short on room in the cab as it is. No need for 3 amps in THIS vehicle.

Basically, it's a pain to pull the deck with the dash kit I have, and if I can run the existing rcas through the amps rather than the deck, I'd just as soon save myself the trouble and possible cost.

Sorry if my posts are less than clear.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 336
So the original HU signal RCA's would go to the 2ch amp, then to pass on the signal - another set of RCA's from the 2ch to the mono block. Yes it's all good, but you do have to lowpass both of the amps. You don't wanna run your 10's full range, that would be crazy.

Post Number: 4
Nice, that's what I'm looking for.
I'm not sure how to run the tens just yet.
I think I'll try all pass on the 2 channel at first,
because when that's all I had it had a really good range, hitting those higher bass notes.
I figure if I don't like it, I'll flip it to LP.
That almost depends on what I'm listening to.

Those 10's are rated @ 400 rms, 800w peak, and that's rockford, real strict rating, and in 2 channel mode the amp only puts out 400w rms,
so I don't think they are at risk of blowing out.

Is that what you meant, or just that the sound quality would be poor at full range?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us