Some advice??

Bronze Member
Username: Longbluesquid

Post Number: 70
im 16 and im trying to learn everything about car audio and cars in general (cars are my life). i want to go to a mobile electronics school after a graduate high school then i would want to open up my own shop

anyone got some ideas that can point me in the right direction...

Silver Member
Username: Grebnereon

Post Number: 291
read alot.....there are good websites out there that explain how to do most everything...and surf these forums....you can learn alot from other people

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 378
http://www.wickedcases.com/
http://www.the12volt.com/
there's a start

Silver Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Oregon U.S.

Post Number: 395
read
www.bcae1.com
some good stuff in there to get you started

Silver Member
Username: Grebnereon

Post Number: 292
other people...and their problems/mistakes ;]

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 381
Just watchin people hook stuff up and then tryin it yourself works too

Silver Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 200
MECP testing can help a LOT, you can get the books online, use them to study and them take the test whenever you want, it's the PERFECT base for any school. Speaking of, Mobile Dynamics is a GREAT school, but if you walk in there without any kind of training or experience you'll be wasting your money.

As a ten year vet it's AWESOME to see a new generation coming up, but to be fair I should give you these warnings:

1) Business is DOWN.
The days of making a living off of deck swaps are DONE. To survive these days you need to be able to do it all, and do it well. The independents that slunk away from custom are dead and gone, so are the guys that were afraid of integration. There's always someone bigger and better out there, and they're going to make your life hell.

2) This business is HARD.
It's not easy, despite what a shade tree installer will tell you. I came from an independent before I went to Tweeter and it was impossible. Long hours (80 a week, at least) tough customers, ridiculous insurance rates and awful distributors are only a few of the problems you'll face.

3) The Customer isn't always right.
This is a fine line, you need to do what is right for YOUR SHOP FIRST, and your customer second. 99% of the time this is the same thing. This also means that you should never, EVER overcharge. No matter how well you think you can hide it, every customer knows. This is crucial and tough to pull off, and leads directly to number four...

4) NEVER EVER LIE TO YOUR CUSTOMER!!!!! (Is that enough exclamation points? Here's one more for good measure: !)
Don't say you can do it if you can't, don't say it's possible if it isn't and don't tell them it's good if it ain't. This includes the Roadmaster amp they bring in for you to install. Don't be rude, and don't be condesending, but be honest. ALWAYS.

5) Never let them see you having a bad day.
People are shopping with you because you're a pro, if they wanted some guy to put their stereo in they would find some friend to do it. They're coming to you for a professional. This also applies to your (potential) staff.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us