Battery

Bronze Member
Username: Bigben

Post Number: 37
would it be good to hook up a yellow top battery to the battery already in my car. and then run the amp off the yellow top?? please help

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
i found this explaination of the big 3. is it correct??

Capacitor alternatives - Many people, including myself, believe a capacitor is unnecessary in a small to mild system. Unless you need headache creating, block quaking bass, you don't need it. A less expensive alternative is cable upgrading. This also benefits the vehicles electrical system. It's typically called the big 3 upgrade.

1. Upgrade the cable that goes from your alternator to your battery's (+) terminal with 4 gauge cable or thicker

2. Upgrade the cable that goes from the battery's (-) terminal to the cars frame (on body-on-frame cars/trucks/SUVs) with 4 gauge or thicker cable or upgrade the cable that goes from the battery's (-) terminal to the cars body (on uni-body cars/trucks/SUVs)

3. Upgrade the cable that goes from the battery's (-) terminal to the engine block.

Upgrade 1 helps the alternators charging and current flow capabilities, most electrical components are connected to your battery, but when the car is turned on, all vehicle electrical power comes from the alternator. Doesn't it make sense for the alternators current to flow easier through a bigger cable?

Upgrades 2 and 3 help to provide a better ground. A good ground is necessary in all electrical applications.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
can anyone help please??

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Hamilton, Indiana United states

Post Number: 1635
how many watts are you running?

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 260
Assuming your running enough watts for it to matter......the big 3 wont do one hell of alot of good if there arent additional amps from the alt to give.

IE.....if the alt is unable to handle the load (dimming is a sign) then the big 3 wont make much of a difference.

When you install an HO Alt, it is most definitely a great idea. In fact, i believe, its required. I personally have never installed an alt without upgrading.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
so would i need a new alt. or would a second battery work the same??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
i have a zx1500.1 watt amp and 2 kicker L7 15s. what would i need to get so that my car doesnt die on me?? also how much would it cost me. and what would be the best way for me not to change my stock alt or battey. thanks to anyone that can help me.

Silver Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 263
An alt getting its a55 kicked by the load its presented, will get it worse when given another battery to charge. Same goes for caps.

A cars stock alt pretty much is only built to cover everything the car comes with on at the same time. Most truck (large case) can only handle more because of the beefier components within.

Bronze Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 97
replacing ur stock alt and upgrading ur big 3 would most likely be best, especially if you are running 1500 rms...do it all yourself and save a ton of money - i'd look @ Iraggi on eBay for a HO alt

it may cost more, but in the long run doing this saves you - and allows for upgrades down the road

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
how do you hook up a new alt?? is it something that the average person can do?

Silver Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 276
Depends on the car. Usually its only 2-4 bolts, a wire, and a plug. If its on top, no biggie, if its on the bottom, well, it could be a PITA.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
well mine is sorta on top but i dont konw much about cars so would there be a way i could mess anything up. and you konw if the big 3 description above is correct?? also how many amps woudl be good to power my amp.140? 160 amps?

Silver Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 278
70a per 1000w added.

Description is correct. No need to remove the old wires, just add to them.

If you had pics i could walk you through it.

Shouldnt make any errors, battery will be unhooked. "Should" be simple.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
you mean pics of my alt or what?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
and where is a good place to find ho alt??

Silver Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 285
Alterstart
knukonceptz
Ohio Gen
mean green
powermaster
iraggi
HO Alts
excessive amperage

Pick one. Find a decent warranty and price, buy it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
and once i do the big 3 and get the ho alt do i need any other batteries or caps or anything or should i be good to go? thank you and i aprechiate everything you helped me with

Silver Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 290
If you just upgraded the underhood battery to a kinetik i would be happy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
cool thanks for all of your help. i am planning on bumpin pretty hard so i will let you know how it sound. thanks again for all of you help.

Silver Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 187
1) Alt + to Engine +.
2) Batt - to Chassis.
3) Engine Block to CHASSIS.

Silver Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 188
Although that's really only of convienience, realistically the alternators resistance when referenced to the negative battery terminal is the most important. IE: If the ground from Block to Chassis is strong, you're golden, if you can go block to negative battery terminal without making it ridiculously long, your good there too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
is the chassis just the frame??? and i have a 2000 pontiac and i cant find any ho alt that match my car. does it have to be desinged for my car or will any ho alt work?

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2807
Ryan get a good 200A alternator and you're going to be fine

Silver Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 304
Ryan. Chassis is the frame.

Didnt look too dam hard did you?

http://www.knukonceptz.com/domaltindex.cfm

Unless you plan to run 2, designed for your car is preferrable.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
i did look but i could find one. but thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
when doin the big 3 do is there a negative terminal in the engine block or how do i ground it to the chassis

Silver Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 345
*Smiles.*

Find a bolt down low on the block. Attach one end of the wire to that. Then drill a hole in the frame and bolt (3/8 nut & bolt is fine) the other end down after removing all paint and debris. Prime, paint, forget.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
so can just find any bolt and then wire it up to the frame?? lol dont laugh at me i dont know much about this stuff but thanks for your help.

Silver Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 366
Yea.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us