Amp turns on but subs aren't working

Username: Brad_n

Post Number: 7
I have two 4ohm svc 10" audiobahn subs wired parallel to a mono hifonics BXi 1206D amp and my amp will turn on but the subs aren't hitting period. Where should i start to diagnose the problem? Maybe the fuse?

Silver Member
Username: Ruthless06

C-ville, Va USA

Post Number: 191
It could be a lot of problems.

Are your RCA's connected to the source unit?

Do you have a proper ground? To high of resistance on the ground and it will cause a huge voltage drop that will not let the amp work properly.

Are the subs connected to the terminals in the box?

Get a multimeter test the voltage input on the power side, test the resistance of the subs, test the voltage input on the RCA', and test the voltage output on the channels.

It could be one of those. But get a multimeter :-)

Post Number: 8
the thing is, i had an old amp hooked up and just upgraded so i pretty much just replaced amps and used the same wiring. but i took out the amp fuse and i saw a spark when i put it back in so???
ill check the RCA cables and everything but im pretty sure its not a wiring problem

Where could i find a multimeter?

Bronze Member
Username: Tinytruck

Duluth, Ga US of A

Post Number: 14
any electronics store or at a home depot?

Post Number: 9
and what exactly does it do?
could i find and an 80 amp fuse at circuit city or Auto Zone?

Silver Member
Username: Bass__monkey

Las Vegas, Nevada U.S. of A.

Post Number: 123
audio shops as well...

Bronze Member
Username: Tinytruck

Duluth, Ga US of A

Post Number: 17
from wgat i understand what you do is look on your manual and if it says the resistance of your sub is 1 ohm then the multimeter will measure that and tell you if it is 1 ohm or 4 or so forth. it will also tell you volts i think. i have found that a simple test light will do quite well.

it depends on what type of fuse it is if it is a cylinder or blade style. i have blade style. and i know that walmart carries a pack that has 2 80 amps and 2 100 amp fuses for eight dollars.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2907
if all you did was switch amps, and your system was working before. If you have power to the amp(both main and remote) but no output, the amp output may be bad.

Silver Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 781
Rca's may be connected but are they in the INPUT? My friend spent 2 hours looking over his stereo and he had the rca's in output....

Post Number: 10
alright i found out tonight that the subs are working but they are hitting less than my stock speakers, does this help anyone in helping me?

btw the fuse is OK and the wires seem to be set up correctly, but im planning on getting my system troubleshooted at Best Buy tomorrow, good idea?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Do you think that the battery in my 1990 Toyota Camry might not be able to handle the amount of watts?

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 242
Id check the ohms of the sub wiring compred to what the amp makes power at.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us