Crossover set up

Silver Member
Username: Lowfront

Post Number: 158
Alright had my system in for a couple weeks now and trying to figuer out how to get it to sound the best. First off I have some concerns...I forgot to buy 8 gauge wire for the distribution to the amps. Is the 4 guage going to cause problems? These are not powerful amps. 25amp, and 40amp

also what freq should I set the amp to send the signal to the tweeters?

Any basic little things I could think about to get the best sound?

I still don't understand the hole slop but my HU does have all those settings. What should I set the slop for my SUB and Components?

sorry I'm really new to this stuff and don't know where to start with setting it up. It sounds incredible though and really just want to tweak it.

This is what I got....
Phoenix Gold Octane R 2 Ch 250 Watt Amp
Phoenix Gold Xenon 400 Watt Mono Amplifier
pioneer deh-7800mp
single jl 10w6v2
cdt EF-61CF with upgraded 560crossover on it and the tw-25T tweeter
80sq feet of second skins Damplifier Pro

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1171
The lower the wire # the bigger the wire. The bigger the wire the better. In your case, 4 AWG is better than 8 AWG as long as you are able to fit the 4 AWG in the amps.

I am not familiar with your amps xover settings for HPF (tweeter), but I would set it at 3000 Hz or higher. You dont want to damage the tweeter by allowing it to go too low.

Crossover slopes are the rate at which the crossover starts to cut sound from your speakers per octave.

Ocatves are as follows;

5 Hz
10 Hz
20 Hz
40 Hz
80 Hz
160 Hz
320 Hz
640 Hz
1280 Hz
2560 Hz
5120 Hz
10240 Hz
20480 Hz

You need to have only one crossover per line (you may use one crossover for the tweeter, one for the mids, and one for the sub, but not two for any of them at the same time).

So you either use the HU crossover or the amps crossover, not both. I would strongly suggest that you use the amps crossover in your case, since it is a better crossover. If you have a component crossover, then use that one instead of your amps crossover, because that one would be the best one yet. If you have an electronic crossover or a sound processor, the same goes with it. Only one type of crossover per item (tw, mid, or sub).

If you utilize more than one crossover at the same time, then you will change the crossover point, because now you have more cutting power, and this will probably be worse than it is better.

In order to get the best sound you may want to keep things as simple as possible. If you can install the mids and tweeters pointing them as directly to your ears as possible it would give you better image. Another thing to do is to keep the bass, mids, and twwter EQ levels as flat (0) as possible. This will allow the sound to be as natural as possible. When you raise or lower Eq settings or bass/trebble knobs, you take away from other frequencies because you only have so much to work with. I would say its just like a baloon. If you squeeze it on one end, you end up pushing it out on another end, and so on... Do not use a loudness button as a bass and trebble enhancer, for it should only be used at low volumes only.

Set you amps gains proberly and do not blas it. Once you hear the sound becoming cranky, you should reduce volume even if it sounds better in your opinion. Most people like to hear a speaker cranked. This is the first sign of too much power and distortion.

If you want more volume, then get a system that can handle more power.

Silver Member
Username: Lowfront

Post Number: 159
Alright well I went and put everything on flat like you said and your right after hearing it like this, I was missing a lot of freq. I still don't understand what slope is. Could you just give me a recommandation as to what setting to have it at?

Also I wanted to just use the crossovers on the amps but my radio's crossover settings can't seem to be disabled. What should I do in this situation?

Gold Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1172
www.bcae1.com

Gold Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1173
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/soucon.html#soucon

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 2472
Think of two shallow hills facing each other (this is representative of say a 6-12 dB slope). If one person were on one hill and one person on the other, then they could each walk down their respective slope and cross each other's path.

Upload

However, if these were two very steep mountains (like a 24 to 30 dB slope), these two would not be able to cross each others path. Substitute frequencies of sounds for the people and you basically have the concept of xo slopes.

More detail here:
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=770660&postcount=9
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=776665&postcount=10
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help