Voice coil diameter

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 1325
I am just kind of confused why one sub that has a 3" voice coil can have a much less power handeling as a sub with the same size voice coil? For instance, my 12" Ti has a 3" voice coil and has a 750 wrms rating. While a FI BTL or Q have a 2000 and 1000 wrms rating, respectively? Just a quick simple question. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 743
I'm not exactly sure but my guess would be a stiffer suspension and more moving mass would equal in a higher rating due to the driver needing more power to get moving. Some drivers use different coil windings but I'm not sure how that affects the rms rating ...

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1696
Large diameter wire? And yes, I've always wondered this too... Glasswolf? LOL!

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2972
you can increase the power handeling of a sub by increasing either the diameter or length of a VC. thats all i know speaking in general.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11625
wire size, number of turns, motor esign for cooling the coil, all play factors in this.
generally, with all else the same, a larger coil diameter gives you better cooling and the ability to have a larger diameter motor ring (magnet) which gives loads stronger magnetic field tahn stacking does.
However, all othr things aren't always the same, and thinner wire, or less wire used (taller or shorter coil former) will bear an effect on the power handling.
So does how well the coil is vented.

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1701
Ah. Thanks Glasswolf. Glad to see you back on here regularily...

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 1335
I appreciate that Glass! :-)

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6587
Hey Glass whatever happened to Word of the week? I loved that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us