Box rise

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2404
hey gys i know marshall will know but how do u figure out the impeance rise of a box

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3296
volts / amps = impedence :-)

you need a true rms DMM and an amp clamp. hook them up to your speaker wire at the same time, run a tone ,and read them at the SAME time. DO NOT PUT THEM ON PEAK HOLD.

box rise will be different at every freq...it will prolly be at its max a little above tuning. (5-10hz)

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2410
okay thans alot marshall your the only one i htik that knows that lol so when u figure this out what should u do change the setting on yor amp to that impedance or what

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3297
no. set your gains like normal.

say you have your sub wired to 1ohm nominal (DCR)...since a voice coil is an inductor, the AC impedence changes as freq changes.

for instance...my SX was wired to 1ohm, but at 48hz w/ a box tuned to 44hz my box rise was ~3.35ohm.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3298
oh...and incase you didnt realize, your sub will see different amounts of power at different frequencies.

just because an amp is wire to 1ohm and is supposed to do 1000wrms...it will only actually see 1ohm at VERY few instances as the frequencies change during music.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2412
ya know that thanks for all the advice man you are the man lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us