W6 v2 a big step down from W7's??

Bronze Member
Username: Justinsane110

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 15
Just wanting some feedback from those that have had/used/heard both if the W6 v2 is a substantial steb down from the W7?

Currently I'm running 2 13W7's in my 05 Escalade (1000/1 to each of them) in approx, a 10cu. ft. box and have had them for 2 years now and absolutely no regrets. 2 sets of ZR's in the front doors, XR's in the back, 3 Alpine touchscreen monitors. More toys than I know what to do with, lol.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/JustinSane110/Back2.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/JustinSane110/door-2.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/JustinSane110/Front-2.jpg

But, I've decided to switch up and put the truck up for sale as is, and get a 2007 Corvette, done the truck thing for 4 years now and its time for a little speed. I'm leaning towards going with 2 12W6 v2's running on 1 1000/1, and 1 set of ZR's up front, XR's to fill out the back on a 450/4. Now would this still hit comparably since of course the enclosure is gonna have to be smaller but the vehicle space is going to be smaller as well. I'm not too concerned with knocking mirrors down and crushing overhead dome lights like I did in the Escalade, lol. Just don't want to be making TOO big of a downgrade.

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1339
With two W6's powered by a 1000/1 and the space available in a corvette, compared to two W7's with a 1000/1 each in a 10 cubic foot box..

The downgrade will be extremely significant. The sound quality will be utterly fantastic.. But you're going to probably have around (this is guessing, a lot is dependant on the enclosure, of course) probably halved amount of output..

The 10 cubic foot box, and double the power - along with one of the best SQL subs out there.. Going to a small box, with a pure SQ sub, and half the power... Yeah. Huge difference. Huge.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2326
2 complete,y diffrent styles sql and pure sq but it will still get loud and sound absolutely amazing

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 5654
i think you will notice a HUGE difference...

you have essentially unlimited room in the 'Lade.

how big is the trunk in the Corvette?
isn't it sealed from the cabin as well?

considering those 2 factors and the fact that you will be going from 2 essentially 15" SQL subs to 2 12" SQ subs with limited room, you will notice a big difference in loudness.:-)

BTw...how do you like those ZR's?
i have heard nothing but good things about them.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 8862
im getting a 07 vette 2 yea....

and yes u will notice a diff in the sound....also any reason ur stuck on JL???

Gold Member

Post Number: 5659
i was wondering the same thing^^^

Silver Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 125
I'm guess because JL sounds really good. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 5665
good call bob.:-)

Silver Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 826
yall know you could put a 1000/1 on each if your buying a 13w6v2, i meann the w7's would still be louder but the 13's would be louder then the 12's.

Silver Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 827
or you could run a couple A1800's

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 17
MuDDy:
The C6 Corvette's trunk isn't sealed off from the cabin, its a hatch and the cargo area is somewhat of a wedge shape.

http://photos.ebizautos.com/6085/1191756_33.jpg

As far as the ZR's, I've been completely satisfied with them and would recommend them if you're considering it.

One concern I do have though, would 2 13W6's or 2 12W7's overpower the space given in the vehicle? I'm almost positive the enclosure space won't be an issue, just worried that actual vehicle space might pose a problem which is why I'm looking into 12W6's at the moment.

Silver Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Maryville, TN Us

Post Number: 162
Well... the carpet shown there is just a cover over the back spare isnt it? You could build a custom enclosure by taking out the spare and whatever else is under there and get 2 12 W7s or maybe even 2 13 w7s facing upwards... I would say you could get a good 4.5-5 cubic foot box and you would still be pounding... plus sh!t gets loud in a hatchback

the box would have to be built awkwardly though.. so i dunno id say 2 12 w7s is doable

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 18
Reece, I'm not positive on this but I dont think the spare is inside the hatch on the C6's. What I'm thinking of doing though is having seperate fiberglass enclosures done one behind each seat designed kinda like the Speedster tonneau covers for convertibles.
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/2268/untitled1ug2.jpg

Either have them come up like that or have them completely raised and shaped kinda like bullets.

Silver Member
Username: Crayola0

Wisconsin

Post Number: 969
another thing ull notice is the price difference :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 5683
oh ok Justin...i see now.

if oyu can fit the W6's in there without sacrificing too much box space, then i don't think it will be nearly as bad as i thought.

good luck man.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3398
just get some other subs.. you would save money and you could get some subs that are AS loud as the W7. i like the W6's over the w7 anywayz

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 23
bassman, what would you recommend? I like the loudness of the W7's but I also enjoy the range they can deliver. It was mainly JL's overall quality in their whole product line that has me sold on JL. It's something of a pet peeve of mine to keep the amps, speakers, and subwoofers all the same company since I do participate in shows from time to time and personally I feel it looks more professional.

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 27
Going to talk to the guys at my shop tomorrow and come up with a gameplan for the next setup. I'm leaning towards 2 12W7's after a little more consideration. Hopefully I'll be set one way or the other after that (doubtful, but we'll see, lol).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us