One voice coil for now?

Silver Member
Username: Swisher

Marianna, FL

Post Number: 262
would it hurt if i only used one vc until i get my other amp?

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4963
you mean use only on vc on a dual vc sub? don't do that.

Silver Member

Marianna, FL

Post Number: 265
damnit them ima have to wire it to 2 ohms cuz its a dual 1

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 637
yeah thats bad if you only use one

Username: Eggrollbandit05

Post Number: 1
what does a jumper do?

Silver Member
Username: Big_fletch

Newport, Ar, Ar United states

Post Number: 496
dont do that

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 709
yall are crazy... using one VC is fine

with that being said... do not put the combined RMS of both coils on one.

a lot of people use one voice coil and then do various other things to the second (leave it open, short it) to change the QTS of the sub. This was the idea behind the AA sub (the model slips my mind)... it was nothing new, just a little different spin on the idea

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4494
The above poster actually gave some insight as to why it should not be done.

It changes the parameters of the enclosure you need to put it in, a.k.a. you probably will ruin it because the box has an extremely high chance of being too big or too small.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8905
question 4 all who r wondering about it >

if ur engine is a 4 cylinder ,would u only connect the electrical to 2 cylinders only !?

well hooking up 1 coil is like doing that IMO .......

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6418
A common misconception with regard to dual voice coil speakers is the assumption that nothing changes if you power only one of the voice coils. With only one coil hooked up, a dual voice coil speaker will suffer a loss in reference efficiency of about 3dB (only half the coil windings are being energized) as well as a significant shift in its Thiele/Small parameters. This renders any enclosure calculations inaccurate unless you remeasure the speakers parameters with only one coil hooked up. Failure to account for the different parameters of a dual voice coil speaker with only one coil powered can result in very poor performance.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8906
now thats the detailed version ^^^ - lol .....

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4777
i believe you could do something to the effect of changing the ohms on a Ava from 2 to 4 and it raised the efficieny of the driver....i dunno WTF i am trying to say....

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6427
on the atlas you could change the qts ofthe sub, but the second VC used was not te same as the first. Thats what make teh Atlas different then a normal dual VC sub

Silver Member

Marianna, FL

Post Number: 271
its ok i wired it to 2 ohms and its gettin a healthy 1500rms

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4798
James straightened it out for me. lol

Bronze Member
Username: Matt_stu

Post Number: 55
hmm this thread made me wonder if i wired my arsenal wrong. i have the speaker wire hooked up to the right terminal and nothing hooked up to the left one. the sub is 2 ohms and the amp is putting out 750w at 2 ohms. is my sub hooked up right?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
im thinking should i have it hooked up like the top right sub http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=161

because right now i only have wire going to one of the terminals and nothing to the other. would it be best for me to hook it up + to + and - to- like the diagram. thanks all for the help

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
but the voice coil on the sub is dvc 4 ohms http://www.ascendantaudio.com/arsenal15specs.html

im new to the audio spectrum and im still trying to figure stuff out sorry for all the post thanks for any help

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 489
correct, you should wire it like in the top right picture. then you would have the vc's in parallel and give you a single 2 ohm load for that amp. you should be pleased with the results when done, if you havent already messed up the driver from only having one voice coil hooked up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 490
IMPORTANT NOTE! EVERYONE, QUIT WINGING IT WHEN HOOKING UP SUBS. IF YOU DONT KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE DOING, GET HELP. QUIT ATTACHING SOME WIRES TO SOME TERMINALS AND HOPING FOR THE BEST! GOD!

Silver Member

Post Number: 491
i felt caps were justified

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
thanx for the help and im glad i read this thread before i did do some damage to it. glad i havnt been playing it that long or that much. just out of curiosity what ohm load would my amp have been seeing with the sub hooked up that way?

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6435
hooked up like the top right it would be a 1 ohm load.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us