Box Questions

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 150
When figuring how much volume a port will displace do i consider the port to be a solid cylinder or do i take its literall volume?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 152
bump

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4793
slot or pvc??

to get the volume of each.

1. slot.

find the port area...by measureing the height and width of oyur port opening. then take that number and multiply it by how many inches deep your port is going to be.

2. pvc or flared.

do the formula pier2

pie = ~3.14
r = radius of the circle....or half of the diameter.
if you have a 4" then the r = 2, 6"...r = 3:-)

after you have done the pier2 formula to get the area. you then multiply that by the depth of the port. and you have your volume:-)

if you have multiple ports than you simply mulitply you total area by however many you have.

to answer your question, when configuring port volume...oyu use either one of those formulas i have...so literal volume.:-) lol

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 153
actually that would be the volume if it were a solid cylinder. literal volume would be how much the port displaces is water so only the wall thickness would displace the water. So how do i factor it in, as a solid cylinder, or has its actual volume(just the wall thickness not counting the air inside the port)?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3173
as a cylinder.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4811
^^^yeah, the way you described it was very fu**ed up.:-)

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3174
EX...you want a 1.75cuft box tuned to 35hz w/ a 4" pvc port for your 12" RE SE.

for 1.75cuft net (volume after all displacements accounted for) you would need a 4" port 12.95" long. (call it 13")

port displacment---0.095 cu ft
sub displacment---0.15 cu ft

the gross(total) box volume you would need to get the box correct would be 1.995 cuft
(2cuft :-)).

get it?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 154
ok i got it i think . so you factor in the air inside the port as well as the tube itself rite? so you take the OD of the port and find the volume as if it were solid. correct? in other words it is not the actual volume of the port. because the ports voulme is actually very small because it is not soild.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3181
yep...you got it

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8918
4get doing the math - use this

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

aint the internet gr8 ....lol

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3182
math > rovin

:-)

-sorry rovin...just messing w/ ya

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8921
no biggie - i had a really good math teacher when i was age 9/10 & everything that was thought 2 me will stick in my head til im dead - but now with internet everything is handed 2 u on a silver platter

tho i noticed some ppl online (not on this thread) cannot even do L x H x W to find volume of a rectangular object - ...lol

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 157
hahahaha no wedges for them. im licky im kinda good at math cuz im doing an isoceles trapizoid so i cna have the box tured either way subs in or out and still fit the angle of my rear seats. but its suprizingly hard to make this work.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us