14.4 volt

Bronze Member
Username: Jeffkock

Post Number: 61
What would be the best way to achive 14.4 volts because I want to get alpine amps and they are rated as 14.4 volts.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1431
upgraded charging system.

Bronze Member
Username: Jeffkock

Post Number: 62
Like the batt. and the alt.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4449
I still believe they have regulated power supplies, so you'll get the same amount of power output even at 12.7-14.4v (for example).

At the moment your car is already putting out 13.8-14.4 anyway UNLESS of course your charging system is too weak for your equipment.

But ultimately, it doesn't matter.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4450
In response to your post above mine:

Battery 'upgrades' in car audio are worthless whether it be multiple batteries (more strain on the alt to recharge) or more expensive (nothing beats a lead-acid for current output-yes even Optima red/yellow/blue top). The only reason to do anything with the battery system in your car is if you're running your system with the car off often.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11586
14.4VDC comes above idle, from the voltage regulator attached to or as a part of the alternator.
at idle the car is 12.6VDC typically.

you need to upgrade the charging system if you want 14.4 volts, but if your amps have regulated power supplies, it won't make any difference, and even with unregulated supplies, you're only gaining about 10% in power going from 12.6 to 14.4VDC, which really isn't an audible change anyway.

At best it might make a difference on an SPL meter of a tenth of a dB or so.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us