Reverse mounting

Bronze Member
Username: Carbuddy

Chicago, Il

Post Number: 19
does anyone know if a subwoofer is compatable to be reverse mounted (magnet is outside the box and front is in the box) if it can still sound the same im very unsure it will but people do it so i wanto know if it will still work good if i do it

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 530
Sounds exactly the same

Silver Member
Username: Astrosafari

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 543
mine is out sde the box, it use to be in, and now its a little lower, and a bit more sloppy, i dont feel the higher notes as much as before

Gold Member
Username: Pelona

Perres, California

Post Number: 1771
they say it sounds the same but it just changes the air volume in the box u kno cuz the magnets outside the box

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8704
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/inverted.html ......

Gold Member
Username: Pelona

Perres, California

Post Number: 1774
i told u lol

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1276
"Sounds exactly the same"

This isn't always true! I have found several subs to play nice inverted and opening to the outside air helps to keep them cool. I have also found some to even get louder, like my Treo 10.22's. I have a common ported chamber enclosure with a gross of 2.5cf. I had the sub in there normally but decided to try them inverted because of the car temps so I did. When I played them for the first time I noticed they got louder and deeper, the sq was unchanged. I am now sooo happy with these subs and these are only my backups! The moral of the story is, you will never know until you try. Polo.. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2576
the only thing that will change is the volume of air the sub has to react with. it'll increase which is why is seems to play deeper and you can interpret that as being louder.

it can stay cooler but nothing dramatic from that.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4153
yup yup.^^^^ whats hes saids.

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Phoenix, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 488
I also prefer inverting the subwoofers...
I'll tell you why:

1. Outside air DOES help keep subwoofer cooler(especially vs. temperatures inside a sealed enclosure in Phoenix, Arizona!)

2. Adds more volume to the box... which, yes, makes the bass sound deeper

3. If the box cannot be built any bigger due to size restrictions... inverting the sub will give you that extra little bit that would otherwise be impossible. (polyfill is another good way of doing this, but doing BOTH is better!)

4. Quick and easy access.
Example: Some little punk thinks he's the s,h,i,t with his new Funky Pup subs and starts mouthing off... you feel like showing him a lesson in humility... so you go to your trunk... change your wiring diagram from 4ohms to 1ohm (in less than 15 seconds)... then show that kid he isn't the only one in town with a system - BY FAR not the LOUDEST!!! Since your amp isn't stable that way, you change the wiring diagram back to its original sequence (all with less time and effort than it takes to take a piss)

5. Hands down my favorite reason...
FOR WHATEVER REASON - BEFORE YOUR SUBWOOFER'S VOICE COILS BURN UP AND BECOME TRASH... YOU WILL ALWAYS BE ABLE TO SMELL IT WITH PLENTY OF TIME TO AVOID IT!!!
Everytime you smell those voicecoils burning, that's your last chance to lower the volume or say goodbye. With inverted subs, you will be capable of smelling them even sooner - having a larger window of time to react appropriately.
Sometimes you can double, even triple, a subs capabilities (SOMETIMES) - but only for a few seconds... the smell will tell you when your time is up.

Hope this helps...

Silver Member

Post Number: 489
By the way...
how come nobody has made reference to the positive/negative factor yet? I always thought if you inverted the subs, you must reverse + and -polarity. Isn't this true? I've heard so many varied answers before. What's the final word, guys? Reverse the polarity when inverted or not???

Muddy: You know this one, don't you?
(How's it going, by the way? I almost bought that Treo from your buddy at AudioNutz... but he was honest, and told me I'd be happier buying locally. Good reference, though. Thanks.)

Bronze Member
Username: Carbuddy

Chicago, Il

Post Number: 24
well i have to say sean g ur answer was very good thanks for the help (everyone)

Silver Member

Post Number: 490
You are VERY welcome, Mr. Munch...
BUT IT'S NOT OVER YET!!!
We need to find out (once and for all) about this polarity issue!
Come on, guys... help us out here!

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 223
The only time you have to adjust the phasing (polarity) of your subs is if you're running one of your subs inverted and the other(s) normally.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4185
^yup.

it isn't necessary to reverse phase.

here's why:
you put the sub in the box facing out, and it plays normal phase, you then switch it on your HU(if oyu have that option) and it plays reverese phase.

so why would it be any diff. when the cone is playing inside the box?

there is still the seal from the mounting gasket either way, so you are good.

Silver Member

Post Number: 495
are you guys sure about that???

OK... then tell me this:
What are the DRAWBACKS (if any) of mounting subs inverted?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4219
ummmm probably some sound waves issues. seeing as though the waves are firing into the box instead of out into the cabin, but waves will still escape throught the bacl of the cone through the basket. so maybe imaging?????? but i doubt that is an issue. lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us