Profile AP1000M, Has More Watts RMS Than ALPINE MRP-M450 BUT COST LESS WHY?

Bronze Member
Username: Wrjh12

Post Number: 15
Heading:Profile AP1000M, Has More Watts RMS Than ALPINE MRP-M450 BUT COST LESS WHY?... I Have Recently Purchased Two Alpine S's. And I was comparing Amps throughly. And I saw that the Profile AP100M has 310 RMS and cost 159.99 on Crutchfield. Then I came Across The Alpine MRP-M450 its wattage is 220 RMS but cost 199.99. I want to buy one of the two. Whats weird is the price diffirence why isent the profile more expensive than the Alpine? and what would you get if you had to choose one of the two

Profile link: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=489AP1000M

Alpine link:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=500MRPM450

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1210
alpine is better quality/brand than profile. also that profile would probably put out the same power as the alpine. i'd take the alpine out of the two.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1605
check prices on ebay, they're too expensive in crutchfield

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 8314
a watt is a watt...when buying an amp...u pay for quailty and a name...thats really all...and the true watts..lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Chauncey your right but wouldent you go with more watts like the profile, or what would you go with out of thoes 2

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 8315
see...thats when true watts come to play...always check the fuses on an amp....the bigger the fuese..the more power it can draw

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Oh, well have you checked the Profile at all?

Silver Member
Username: _jay_

Post Number: 181
i have 2 type S's..in a sealed box runnin off of a vibe266...n' it pounds enough for the price...and it sounds good...gives me a head ache lol..
-JaY

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3772
A watt is a watt yes, but that's only when the amp is being driven within its limits. When you start to drive it into clipping (which can happen at even normal volume levels), then a watt isn't a watt anymore. The best example are tube amps vs. solid states. Everyone agrees tube amps sound warmer when they go into distortion whereas solid state have a really harsh sound. But when both are in their limits, they sound the same. The same can be applied to different solid state amps-it's all how well the power supply and output transistors are built plus other pieces of the circuit.

In essence, a watt isn't a watt when an amp is driven to clipping, and that's where high quality amps generally will sound better. And I agree that build quality/durability/reliability of an amp is definitely something that high quality amps have more of.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Wow Jexx, you pretty much sumed all of it up for me. Yea i think i might go with the Alpine, but check my new thread im going to put up. Its about a Infinity Amp.

Thanks again all and Jexx, yall are big helps

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 936
Clipping shouldn't be part of the decision. All you have to do is set your gain correctly and clipping will be avoided altogether.

Another issue to consider between these two amps...

Profile is a good budget amp, but it wouldn't be going out on a limb to say it may not produce the power it's rated for. Being rated for 500w at 2 ohms it may only produce 400-450.
While Alpine is notoriously under-rated. The m450 is rated at 400w at 2 ohms, but probably produces 450-500.

So with Alpine you'd be getting a better name, higher perceived quality, more efficiency, and about the same power.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3776

quote:

Clipping shouldn't be part of the decision. All you have to do is set your gain correctly and clipping will be avoided altogether.

According to Rockford Fosgate, that isn't the case:

quote:

It would surprise you to realize nearly every car audio system's amplifier "clips" when listening to music at moderate -to- loud levels.

source: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/scripts/rightnow.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php? p_sid=JShIL1ei&p_lva=&p_faqid=63&p_created=965346111&p_sp=cF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3 dfY250PTIxNSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1610
the key is to control the gain

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3783
Well you can look all over the net and find articles about amps clipping during moderate listening levels, but if you want to completely eliminate clipping via the gain, you'll loose top end volume, and that's certainly undesirable for almost anyone to do...

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 938
I think RF is making a broad assumption that the average consumer doesn't know what a gain is for.

For the majority of people that return blown coils that may be true, but not everyone.

Besides - if the way an amp clips is part of the decision making process I would think you have bigger problems.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us