Frying an egg on my amp.....

Silver Member
Username: Quig

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 252
i will soon be frying egg on my amp if i dont find something to keep it cooll....i have audiobahn a8002t it gets hott reall hot... i already have a fan blowing into the intake it still gets hot... is there some kind of material or fabric that absorbs heat and releases it... or something that will keep my amp cool any suggestions... thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 709
hmmm, audiobahn doesnt overheat huh? im pretty sure externl fans r the best your gonna get

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4357
it would be a cool thing to watch though. the egg frying on an amp.

Silver Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 169
get some vantec tornado fans

Silver Member
Username: Fiber

Post Number: 248
mmm audioburn, your ohm load is wired to low probably if an amp gets "hot enough to fry an egg" then the amp is not going to last you very long...

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 827
what subs are running off of the amp?

you should have 2 dual 4 ohms subs, bridged on the amp for 800rms.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 255
have 2 dual 4 ohm p3s bridged @ 4 ohms

Silver Member
Username: Bulldogsm2008

Iowa City, Iowa

Post Number: 273
i doubt your running at 4 ohms if its that hot u might be running it at 1 ohm get a digital multimeter and check it out

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 2026
i highly doubt hes running it at 1ohm, if he was that amp wouldn't even come on.

Bronze Member
Username: Nikoncd

Post Number: 100
Be the first to install a fridge into your ride or load your trunk up with dry ice (get gloves), hehe.
Actually, this thread got me thinking - do you think it possible to watercool an amplifier much like you would watercool a computer video card and/or proccessor? I am fairly sure an ampifier produces much more heat but watercooling as an auxillary method - that definitely would be something to see.

Silver Member
Username: Alexv305

Tavernier, FL USA

Post Number: 268
actually the amp would turn on. I had two 12s on an A8002T and it turned on @ 1 ohm....but it got hot very fast. You may need to rewire your subs...

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 2028
^ wow now thats an idea, or you could do what ppl do with slot cars, and stick tin foil in the freezer, then lay it on the amp to cool it off, of course this idea would only work for a few minutes, but its an idea.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2623
make sure ur gain isnt too high either. has it ever shut down??? because if it even gets close to as hott as ur describing, it should have shut down by now

Bronze Member
Username: Volsrule2069

Post Number: 87
chauncy - bazooka has a series of amps called the chill series that has somethin like that i think....some kind of cooling water tubes

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3484

quote:

Actually, this thread got me thinking - do you think it possible to watercool an amplifier much like you would watercool a computer video card and/or proccessor? I am fairly sure an ampifier produces much more heat but watercooling as an auxillary method - that definitely would be something to see.

Yep, the PPI Art series have a cooling kit you can purchase still from Robot Underground. I don't know exactly how they fit into the amps, but all you need to purchase is the tubing and fitings and a DC bilge pump from Walmart.
Upload

It would be great if they started making liquid cooling stock equipment with amps, and not something to purchase seperately, as well as just seeing liquid cooling in general :-)

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2626
invent it jexx. you will make billions. like anti-freeze in cars make some stuff u pour into amps, that keep em' cool. excpet anit-freeze isnt so u car stays cool, but somethin like that

Silver Member
Username: Nikoncd

Post Number: 101
cool jexx, I didn't know that about the PPI Art series - is it just limited to PPI amps? I am with you, liquid cooling would be a really great thing to start seeing being implemented in stock equipment.

Silver Member
Username: Astrosafari

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 476
mine ran real hot for a while, then i change up the wiring to my sub, it doesnt get any more than warm now

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 256
trust me its wired at 4 ohms.... even if the gain is set low it still gets very hott... and it will shut down about 30 mins of continus playing in 80 degree+ weather.... in the winter i shuldnt have a problem. without the fan blowing itno the itnake i probably wuldnt last 15 mins....

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Offutt AFB, Nebraska U.S.A.

Post Number: 542
acctually you might beable to drop your amp in Vegitable oil to cool it.... people do it to their computers.... dont know how efficient it would be you might be abe to make fries and chicken for lunch from it though..... but aparently the il dosent conduct electricity like water does nor does it corrode like water does either....

just a random thought though

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4013
could you imagine trying to play a burnt CD in your car-----"Dics Read Error, Too much Oil"

lol

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3487
I've only seen it in PPI Art amps, there might be some other manufacturers that tried it out, though. And I also bet you could mod the Art fittings to be used on any amplifier, it's just they're expensive:
$5 per fitting
$10 per pack of tubing
3MAN manifolds are $8
5MAN manifolds are $15
return tubing is $30 each

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1561
My A8000T overheats on days where the temp. is over 90 degrees. But it's usually after driving around for an hour straight playing at RMS levels lol. My A6004T never has overheated, however.

Silver Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 172
just to add to invention..

if anybody wants to water cool their amp and has any form of rear a/c

put the radiator inside the rear a/c vent with a fan to boost air out of the vent..

if you can afford to run your a/c your amp would be chilly

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1565
Either way...Eggs are high in protein, which can't be all bad...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3491
In reference to the original post, I was reading that when an amplifier exceeds 600watts RMS output power, it is best to run an additional ground wire directly to the negative battery terminal to prevent overheating and/or engine noise (no idea if anyone here does that or if I've been oblivous this whole time lol). If I get the time, I might just try it out and see if it affects my amp at all...anyone else tried running their ground wire to the negative terminal and chassis ground at the same time? I'm going into a higher powered system so it's relatively new to me.

Silver Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 416
I don't remember what magazine it was, but I saw a system that was liquid cooled. This was back in the mid '90's, but the amp and the subs had antifreeze going through them. If Glasswolf was still around, he'd know what I was talking about.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us