Upgrading Alt. Question

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 184
If you upgrade your alt., would you need to upgrade your battery also? Would a more powerful alt. somehow overcharge a battery and damage it or no?

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1290
No, a higher voltage is what would damage the battery.

However - if your battery is at all damaged, or weak, it's NEVER a bad idea to go ahead and replace both together, to avoid putting undue strain on your alt from a weak battery.

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 191
Ya, my battery is gettin pretty old and doesn't sit at 14.1 volts anymore unless I really step on the gas to charge it back up. I was thinking of upgrading my alt thinkin it may help it stay at 14.1 volts but I guess I should change that also. Any battery suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1292
A battery is normally 12.6 volts - or maybe around 13.1ish with a good surface charge immediately after you turn off the vehicle. :-) You should test the battery with the car off. Is it 12.6+? (might want to drive for a little bit w/o a system to make sure it's 100% ch arged.)

If it's only getting up to like 14+ when you really step on the gas... It sounds like you dont really have a problem, that's not too bad. A lot of alts dont produce full power until high RPM's. :-)

Or if anything, it might be your alternator showing the first signs of the end of it's life.

Bronze Member
Username: Super_mario

Post Number: 83
So you mean an alt doesnt just stop working. Can you explain it a little more. I mean what do you mean by the first signs, is there a lot of signs that will point out that the alt is going out.

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 192
Well, in my T-Bird that I had, I blew my alt. because I was sucking out too much power with my system and it was having difficulty recharging my battery. I mean, literally, if you looked at my battery gauge, it looked like it was dancing. Eventually I wasn't able to start my car so I replaced my alt. and took out the fuse to my system so it could recharge.

"A battery is normally 12.6 volts - or maybe around 13.1ish with a good surface charge immediately after you turn off the vehicle. :-) You should test the battery with the car off. Is it 12.6+? (might want to drive for a little bit w/o a system to make sure it's 100% charged.)"

Ya, ive tested my battery and it's around 12.6 so it's still ok. The only problem in my case is that I have a digital gauge for everything in my SUV. Plus, some thing on it are broken or are going to be going soon and it sucks!

Silver Member
Username: Mrdark

Post Number: 234
I used a DMM to test my battery at idle with the bass pretty high...fluctuated from 13.6v to about 13.7v depending on the bass notes... Is this a good voltage to have at idle?

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 237
yes
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us