IPod friendly?

Username: Sevn

Post Number: 1
I am in the market for a new head unit, and was pretty well settled on the Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS until I recieved an iPod video as a gift. I do not know how user friendly it is compared to some of the newer decks, especially the new Alpines, and am just looking for some recomendations. I just want something that is reliable, decent sounding, and works well with iPod's.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3292
Just get the P880...if you're just buying a head unit for the iPod compatibility, they're all about the same. You might as well grab the Pioneer because you know they have good build quality, sound and support as well.

Post Number: 2
Like I said, I was set on getting the P880, but have read that some CD players are much better than others when it comes to ease of use and connection speed with iPods, and am wondering how it fairs against some of the others.

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 177
There are two main types of interface. There's a direct connect method which involves an adapter cable or breakout box that connects your deck to your iPod, playing the iPod over the speakers and allowing for display and control of the iPod with the deck but locking the controls on the iPod itself. Direct connections also generally allow for charging of the iPod while their attached.

The second type of connection is an indirect connection, or AUX in connection. This allows for play of the iPod through the deck, but maintaining control and display of the iPod on the iPod itself and only volume is affected by the deck controls.

Both Alpine and Pioneer offer options for both types of connections. For newer Alpine decks you can use the new Speed Cable and Pioneer still offers their Interface Adapter. For AUX in, both companies offer a cable that will convert your changer port to an AUX in, here is the Alpine version and the Pioneer version. Both cables then use a Mini to RCA cable to plug into the iPod.

I have used both the Pioneer adapter and the Alpine speed cable in terms of direct connect methods, and found the Alpine cable to be a bit quicker (though it still had some lag), but thought the controls on the Pioneer (I tested it with a DEH-6800mp) were much more intuitive and I was able to navigate the menus much easier, though admittedly with just a bit more lag.

Overall, I ended up deciding that controlling the iPod with its own controls was not a bad thing since I didn't intend to hide the iPod in my glove box or console and I was already accustomed to using the iPod controls without looking. So I currently run a DEH-5800mp (since overall I was not a fan of the 6800 rotary dial) along with the above pioneer AUX in converter cable. The sound quality is just as good in my opinion especially with my Belkin Auto Kit which has a small amp built in to boost the output of the iPod a bit as well as a charger that plugs into the cig lighter.

Like Jexx said though, either brand of deck, with either connection method will probably work just fine and the differences between the two are minimal in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't change my mind on a deck purchase based on iPod control, at least not with any of the newer decks.

Post Number: 3
I am not familiar with iPod controls yet, so I will probably go the direct connection method. I'm glad to hear they are all about the same though, I didn't really want to go the Alpine route, but wasn't sure how well the Pioneer's performed. Thanks for the replies.

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 254
I just recently switched from the Alpine one to the Pioneer one and I definately like the Pioneer quite a bit better....it sounds much cleaner and more alive to me...plus I think 90% of the controls are more user friendly
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us