So i am a newb and am learning allot about subs from this place. I just have a few questions that could help me out allot.

Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 3
Sorry if this is a duplicate post i couldent find the one i tried to post about an hour ago... it seems to have dissapeard

So i am a newb and am learning allot about subs from this place. I just have a few questions that could help me out allot.

I currently have a infinity kappa perfect 10" 400rms VQ svc powered by a infinity reference 611a that pushes 456W x 1 @ 4 ohms and 657W x 1 @ 2 ohms. The sub is in a .66cu/ft sealed enclosure. I am using a line level converter to get the signal from my rear deck speakers. I am having a problem with clipping and i believe it is because i am overdriving the sub. The sub is great but its just not loud enough and i dont wanna be paranoid if i am overdriving it all the time.

So i am thinking of selling the sub and buying a Dvc sub with aome where around 700rms. I just need some suggestions of what to get and look for, price range around 200-250 shipped preferable and 10" as they fit just so well in my car. I have looked at a Eclipse SW9102 online but have no clue exactly what i want. just more power and clarity is a must. I know i am asking for opposit things but something in the middle.

Question 2, I currently have my sub in a sealed box which isent fitting so well around the sub (dont ask long story). So if i were to get a better sub i would end up making a box preferably vented, i have tested with some things on the WinISD prog but for the eclipse i cannot find all the info on the sub so i can only guess what some of the values are and i really have no clue what they could be. I am just lookin for some direction when it comes to the box i guess.

When you tune a box/sub together you are tuning it the the frequency at which it is what? its strongest frequency?

Thanks for the help,
ccdoggy

Post Number: 4
so the topic was supposed to be "Need some help answering some questions and picking a sub" but something screwey is going on..... oo well...

Bronze Member
Username: Benzino

Michigan US

Post Number: 30
Alright if you want a nice 10" alpine type r is good at like $100 shipped... You could get 2 10" shipped for about $250, Or if you just want one nice AS$ 10 you could get a alpine type x link http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-SWX-1042D-Type-X-10-DVC-SUB-NEW_W0QQitemZ270003489615 QQihZ017QQcategoryZ3291QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Take a look...

Post Number: 5
I suppose that is an option. However i would be underpowering that sub by a good amount...

Thanks for the option.

anyone else wanna chime in with a suggestion?

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 970
the r is good, i used to have them, but i would take an arsenal over it, a 10" is $150 plus shipping.

Bronze Member
Username: Benzino

Michigan US

Post Number: 37
Steve H why do you want to get a good sub if you cant power it good?

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 1984
get the eclipse, its a lot better than all the subs mentioned, and even though your amp is only 650wrms i bet it could push a ti nicely, or you might wanna look at a treo ssi they have really good sq and decent spl. for the box i would go ported, but you might try sealed first incase these subs are too much, as they are a big step up from the kappa.

Post Number: 6
well i figure i need to get something that has atleast some more power behind it moving it up to 2ohms. I dont want anything obnoxious i just need more general volume then what i am getting at 400 watts. I figure i dont need more then 700watts and it would do me just fine if this time i got a good box ported and sized correctly insted of just buying one that fits and going with it.

What if i were to pick up a type X and power it with my infinity amp. Would it sound good just ne beable to reach the max power output of the driver? or would matching something that power hungry to something that is about 300watts off its peak be a bad idea?

Post Number: 7
If i were to go with the eclipse how would i go about getting all the numbers to input into WinISD for the sub as they dont seem to have them available.

Thanks allot for the help everyone.

one quick question i was hoping someone could quickly answer my last question im sure its an easy answer:
When you tune a box/sub together you are tuning it the the frequency at which it is what? its strongest frequency?

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 1986
i'd take the eclipse over the type x, they are the same sq wise but the ti is better spl wise, and is overall nicer sub, imo. if it was me i'd get a ti, add some pollyfill to your box, put the ti in the box you allready have and call it a day, you should notice a little better sq, and huge spl difference.

Post Number: 8
the thing about the box is that when i made it i made the hole a bit too big for the sub so no holes lined up and its not a strong design at all.

I figure if im going to get a better sub i might as well get a box that will optimize it.

thus why i wanna get some dimensions for a box and port as i wanna hop on this soon.

thanks for the info i think i will be goin with the SW9102 that way in the future I can upgrade just the amp for more volume.

Bronze Member
Username: Dsmith07

Post Number: 73
if i were you i'd go with the Type X and use your amp you have now and if you feel you need more power you can always sell the old amp and use that money towards a new amp that would push that beast better

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 2064
ok what impedence is your sub? 2ohm or 4ohm? and your amp is not clipping. clipping is when basically when you dont think you system is loud enough and you try making up for the lack of power by turning up jyour amp settings and causing distortion. so your sub has enough power its just not loud enough for you. you might try goin to a vented box that is a lil bit bigger. this will make it a lil bit louder. or you can move up to a 12, is has more surface area which will give a higher spl reading. or you can even try facing your sub the opp. direction that may make it louder.

Post Number: 9
My amp is 456rms at 4ohm which is what i am running it at with my SVC infinity kappa perfect 10. I have turned down the input sensitivity and bass boost all the way. I turn it up and i get what i would think is clipping but I believe i could be pushing the sub past it's limits. I see the clip light light up when it happens thus I assumed it was clipping.

Maybe you can clear this up for me, would the cliping light turn on if the sub was traveling to far or is it just when the amp is asked to supply more power then it has to give?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us