What's more important?

Bronze Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Greensburgh, PA US

Post Number: 20
When looking at spec sheets on any speaker, especially subs, what's a better number to look at when comparing quality? Sensitivity, or frequency response? I've noticed the sensitivity of cheaper subs is below 90 with some all the way down to 86db. Is a subs capability of going lower in frequency response a trade off on sensitivity or do better subs just outperform in both catagories?

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 2065
i dont even look at the sensitivity most companys inflate that number. for example i the mkII brahma has a sens. of 86 and i had a power acoustik fubr 12 that had a sens. of 91. it basically just means how effienct your sub is. but like i said most companys overrate it to make it look good. the brahma is a way better sub and only needed 600 watts to sound good, a lot bettder then that fubr. lol. fs is the free air resonating req. basically the freq the sub plays at free air with out a box to alter it. and its hard to say what makes a good sub, some look at xmax(how far the cone travels one way)some alot look at the motor structure and how they are built and what technology they use. for example soke people will go to their grave saying that xbl^2 is the best, (adires motor) some will say the lmt is the best or the split gap.theres a l0t of things to consider when looking at specs, xmax, fs, sd, even bl, how ,uch space the sub needs to properly operate, how much power the sub requires. what subs were you looking at?

Bronze Member

Greensburgh, PA US

Post Number: 22
None in particular. I do know the xmax was the excursion capability and bottom line how much air it can move. Is the xmax criteria related to spl? After all, the more air you move, the more bass you feel, right? I was just curious because I've heard you need to double the power to increase sensitivity by 3db. So naturally I assumed the sensitivity was directly related to the speaker's quality/effeciency. Am I way off base?

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 2070
kinda. it sjust not an accurate measement i guess. just companies(lower end) will inflate this number to make it look good. most compaines that care more about there advertising and image and less on the quality will boost this number. for ex. power acoustik, pyle, pyrimid, it seems that rockford is goin that way, so is mtx i think and alpine. basically generic companies.and xmax is i guess basically the more xmax the more potential the sub has, so yes you are correct there.there are just so many factors that relate to spl its hard to say where you will gain or lose dbs.

Bronze Member

Greensburgh, PA US

Post Number: 24
Thanks guys. I'm just in a search and destroy mode right now for a concrete method of determining how to judge a "book by it's cover" so to speak. When you buy a car you look at fuel economy and included options. When you buy a sub you go by ??????? I know I know I know I know, it all depends. Simply, What's the most important factor on a subs' spec sheet that MOST look at for quality. RMS power, sensitivity, xmax, magnet weight, or what. Am I just babbling???

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2139
and to increase 3 dbs -- you could add a sub. so if you had a 10" or 12" sub and you add one more 10" or 12" sub, there will be around a 3db diff.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2140
* Frequency Response: This is the range of frequencies produced by the sub, within a certain tolerance. For example, a frequency response of 22Hz to 180Hz (+/-3dB) means a product produces all frequencies from 22Hz to 180Hz without dropping or peaking three dB.

this is one of my favs that i look for in a sub. but you cant just look at one thing. here is a good website :-)

http://stereos.about.com/od/homestereotechnologies/a/sub_basics_2.htm

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 2071
hmm xmax, sd,fs, god there is so much to look at. its best to hear and look at them and in person. but do not go by magnet size that doesnt mean that its gonna be a good sub. motor strength would be something better to go by. aka bl.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2142
its good to know the frequency's thats your sub can play and is a good way to determine if a sub will fit your needs.

you also need to pay attention to if your a spl sq sql kind of guy. if you dont know what that it you can do a search. Companiesmake subwoofers for specific kinds of people. kicker is spl orriented as treo is sql type oriented

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1324
THE SPECS U HAVE TO LOOK FOR ARE:

FS: THIS TERM IS FOR HOW LOW THE SUB WILL PLAY WITOUT ACTIN LIKE IS IN FREE AIR MOST WOOFERS CAN GO EVEN LOUDER THAN ITS FS.

XMAX. IS THE EXCURSION OR HOW MUCH DOES THE WOOFER MOVE

EFFICIENCY OF SPL ARE NOT TOO IMPORTANT BECAUSE IS HOW THE WOOFER WILL REACH ITS FULL EXCURSION

FOR EXAMPLE AN AUDIOBAHNS AT 400 BECAUSE IT HAS GOOD EFFIECINT CAN REACH ITS FULL EXCURSION AT 400 RMS BUT THE RMS IS 1100 WATTS RMS,

AND A TREA LETS SAY TSX AT 400 RMS HAS NOT EVEN REACH ITS HALF EXCURSION BUT IF WE GET TOO 1000 RMS THE AUDIOBAHNS WILL PRETTY MUCH SOUND LIKE 400 RMS BECAUSE IT HAS REACHED ITS FULL EXCURSION AND THE TREO ITS JUST GETTIN ITS FULL EXCURSION.

MOST GOOD WELL BUILT QUIALITY SUBS HAVE THEIR SPL AT 88DC OR AROUND 87-90 DB BUT DONT TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY.

ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS THE EBP BUT THIS THING TERM DO NOT PUT SOME COMPANYS, IF UR WOOFER HAS LESS THAN 45 OF EBP IS SUGGESTED ONLY IN A SEALED BOX AND A WOOFER WITH 65 AND GREATER EBP ITS ONLY FOR A PORTED BOX, AND LIKE MOST WOOFER AN EBP FROM 50-60 IS FOR BOTH ENCLOUSURES.

SO LEARN THIS MOST WOOFERS ACT DIFERENT LIKE I SAID BEFORE EACH WOOFER IS DIFERENT.

A WOOFER WITH 20 MM CAN GET LOUDER OR JUST AS LOUD THAN A WOOFER WITH 24MM

FOR EXAMPLE A SOUNDSPLINTER HAVE 24.4MM OF EXCURSION AND EFICIENCY OF 88DB AND THE RE AUDIO HAVE 22MM AND 90 DB THE RE AUDIO WILL GET LOUDER BUT THE SOUND SPLINTER WILL SOUND BETTER AND EVEN THE SOUND SPLINTER HAVE GREATER EXCURSION THE RE AUDIO WILL STILL BEAT THE SS IN SPL

Bronze Member

Greensburgh, PA US

Post Number: 25
Thanks LiLrob. Your wisdom exceeds me. Now just what did he just say? Sorry, mind you I'm drunk off my @ss.

Bronze Member

Greensburgh, PA US

Post Number: 26
It was all the capitals that sent me into oblivion. Sorry.

Bronze Member

Greensburgh, PA US

Post Number: 27
That and the 7 rum and cokes i've had. Sweeeeeeeet!!!!!!!

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1325
look sound splinter rl-p have a efficiency of 88db and excursion of 24mm, the re audio have efficiency of 90db(2 decibels louder than rl-p) and excursion of 22mm(2mm less than sound splinter rl-p), the audiobahns aw1206t have efficiency of 96.4db(6.4db decibels louder than re audio sx, 8.4decibels louder than sound splinter rl-p) and have excursion of 18mm (less excursion than ss rl-p and re audio sx)

because of the re audio design and the way it performs the re audio sx will be louder than sound splinter rl-p,aw1206t even if those two have louder efficiency and excursion however, in the right time, right car, right power,right enclousure and right tuning freqensy of the box, givin the same to the other woofers the aw1206t can be louder than re audio sx and ss rl-p, so thats why actually there are no "the best woofer", so if u never heard lets say x woofer, but u look at their motor assembly, how powerfull is the magnet(how powerfull the magnet is not important) the spl or efficiency, and excursion and fs u can run a program called winisd and check how loud the woofer will get in "x" enclousure

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2143
why r u usin audiobahn subs in the same sentence with RE and rl-p? lol

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1327
ok bassman3 im using audiobahns cuz they rate their woofers with such high decibels and to let paul or watevr his name is that efficiency is not too important and its not gonna affect how loud it will get

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 528
audiobahn subs are cheap pieces of shi*t.

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 529
lilrob - u were dissin on drivinreckless...so now i have to tell you the truth...

Upload

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1328
first this wasnt my tread and then i was givin an example so u dont like bahns its ok for me i like them so wat i like you sister and momo so wat so fak off man go with your brother chuck

Bronze Member

Greensburgh, PA US

Post Number: 30
Hey I liked knight rider, A-team too. F@ck different strokes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us