Glasswolf amp question

Username: Jedwards

Post Number: 3
I have a Kicker KX600.1 amp but my subwoofer (Kicker CompVR) is only rated at 400rms and I dont want to buy a new amp. Is there any way to limit the amount of power going to the speaker so it doesnt get blown?

I read this in one of your older posts but I have no idea what it means :-( , but I would like to do this "line level signal attenuator" thing :-) ...

""no you cannot change the RMS rating of the amp, but you can use a line level signal attenuator so that the amp never reaches maximum output, which will in effect prevent you from giving the speakers their full power.""

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2987
it means you'd need an electronic crossover that allows you to adjust the "level" of the amplifier's output.
if the single sub is 4 ohms, it'll only get 300 watts anyway though

Username: Jedwards

Post Number: 5
If the single sub is dual 4 ohms does it still only get 300rms or is there a way to modify it to only accept 300?

If a dual gets 600, where can I buy an electronic crossover?

Thank you for your help :D

Anonymous

ever think about not turnin the amp all the way up?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3003
if the SVC sub takes 300 watts, the DVC will usually take 150 watts per coil for a total of the same 300 watts.

one option is not turning the volume up all of the way, but that takes an active effort to listen for problems with the sub, and depending on the box design, that's not always easy to hear.

I think circuit city, and plenty of sites online carry coustic.
the XM-1 or XM-3 should be fine for running a system.

it's a shame more amps aren't designed like zapco's C2K series, where you can actually program the amplifier for the RMS power ratings of the speakers connected, and the amp won't put out any more than that ratinr if the speakers aren't made to handle the full output of the amp.
Then again, the amp also has a dash screen to monitor things like voltage rails, amp viltage, temperature, power output, etc.
nice idea.. just expensive.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us