Quick amp install question

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1715
when you Connect a remote turn on lead wire to your "power antenna" or "remote" lead from the head unit, that HU wire or the power antenna lead is a blue and white wire right??

also, what other wires can u connect the remote wire from ur amp to??

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 790
the color varies on different hu's look it up in the manual. you can attach the rem wire to the ignition too. i have mine running from the fuse box under the steering wheel from the ignition fuse.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1716
where's the ignition wire or fuse? is there a site that would tell u based on ur car? or what color is it usually?

cant u hook it up to acc switched power? whatever that means..

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 795
acc means accessory and that would work well. do you have a shop manual for your car? do you have an aftermarket HU?

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1719
yea. i have a new kenwood

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1720
and yes. i have a manual for my car

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 641
Check your fuse box with a meter. There is usually extra spaces in it that are controlled by the key. The ones marked ACC are usually controlled. The factory puts em in incase your car came loaded with tons of extra, like heated seats, power mirrors, fog lights, ect.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1721
a meter? so i look for the place marked acc, and then i can hook the rem in there?

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 796
do you have the manual for the HU? if not you can prolly download it off kenwood site. because i can almost garauntee it has a rem wire.

OT i cant upload pics...

Error

One or more of the images or attachments you uploaded exceeded the maximum allowable upload size (which is -1 kilobytes). These images or attachments have been removed from your post. If you would like to include images or attachments, upload new files after you make sure that the size is not greater than -1 kilobytes.

Silver Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 642
Yea, get a test light, put it in an empty fuse space, with a fuse in place. there should be no power when the key is off, and power when you turn the key.

Silver Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 643
idealy you would want to run it off the HU. If you have a meter or test light, see which wire becomes hot, and stays hot when you turn on the HU. Like you said, its usually some blue on the wire if not all blue. Is the HU controlled with the key or is it wired hot?

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 798
yeah you can take a multimeter and anywhere that reads 12v that turns on when the car turns on will work.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1723
but i can just hook the rem wire to the acc fuse?

"put it in an empty fuse space, with a fuse in place"

^^ what empty fuse space? and how do u put in the test light thing when the fuse is already in place? sry, but u just confused me a lil.

Whats the point of doing all of this? (with the test light and stuff)

thanks,, and i have everything hooked up, i just want to know other alternatives. just for my own sake.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1724
i already have the rem hooked with the power antenna. i'm just wondering other alternatives. :-)

what do you mean wire that hot? like literally hot? or just a wire that reads 12v

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1725
can u put it in your ignition fuse?

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1726
on my fuse box, i have a "IGN" thats unused, a "power acc" thats used with a 10 amp fuse, and a "acc" thats not being used........

Silver Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 644
in the fuse box there are unused spaces. find an empty one. check to see if it is controlled with the key. If it is, then put a fuse in it, Most space curcuits wont hace a fuse in it yet, connect the rem to the fused side for safty.
In this link, 16, 17, and 18 are probably spares This is just to give you an idea.
http://autorepair.about.com/library/images/bl076a-lib.htm

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1727
^^ which one of those could i hook it up to??^^ my earlier post about what open and not used...

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1728
how do you know if the space is controlled by the key? get the meter, and see if it reads 12v?

you mean just connect the rem with the fuse? b/c i dont understand what you mean by "fused side" -

thanks

Silver Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 645
"on my fuse box, i have a "IGN" thats unused, a "power acc" thats used with a 10 amp fuse, and a "acc" thats not being used......"
any one of those would work, IGN, means it works only with ignition on, The power acc is probably being used for something if it has a fuse in it. Acc or IGN would be you best bets.

Silver Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 646
Man this sux we cant upload pics. But yes, fused side is the side after the fuse. One side of the fuse contact is always hot, 12V, and the other side will be hot when a fuse is installed. thus completing the curcuit. Do you have a meter of sorts, thats the easiest way to check what is live when you turn the key on.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1729
yea. i have a multi-meter

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1730
so if i put the rem wire in a spot where there is no fuse, i need one right? so how do u connect the rem with the fuse? -thats the only thing i dont understand...

and i use the multi-meter only when the key is on correct? and see which reads 12v. - i am askin so many questions because i want to make sure i get it right, thanks

Silver Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 648
You will need to see where the exit point of the fuse is. Connect the wire there. Or push it in to the fuse holder space and use the fuse to hold it in.

You want to use the meter with the key off, no volt on the fuse terminal, turn the key to Acc, or run, and you should now have 12 volts. Turn the key off, and again no volts. See which side liven up when doing this. Do not have a fuse in yet. Again, no fuse, 1 side will read 12 volts only when key is turned. the other side will always read zero volts. Then put fuse in, try again both sides should now be controlled by the key. Its the side that was dead before the fuse was installed that you want to attach the wire to.

BTW, this does not seem like a "Quick amp install question "
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us